About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Creation Day 6 - Part 3

Today I'm going to focus just on verse 26 of Genesis 1:
"Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, to be like us. Let them be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly, the livestock, everything that crawls on the earth, and over the earth itself!” ISV
What does it mean for us to have been created in God's image?  Looking up the word "image", I discover that it means, "phantom," "illusion," or "representative figure".  We were made to be "representatives" of God!  How well am I doing?  Can He pronounce THIS creation "very good"?  Am I working with God, the magician, in creating this illusion?  The picture I get is that of a puppet in the hands of God.  Am I allowing Him to move me according to His will?  to bring me to life?  I think of this verse from John:
"So Jesus told them, “Truly, I tell all of you emphatically, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you don’t have life in yourselves." John 6:53 ISV
What on earth does that mean? Fortunately, Jesus explained Himself since He knew His disciples were having difficulty understanding His words:
"But Jesus, knowing within himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, asked them, “Does this offend you? What if you saw the Son of Man going up to the place where he was before? It’s the Spirit who gives life; the flesh accomplishes nothing. The words that I’ve spoken to you are spirit and life." John 6:61-63  ISV
Ahhh, that's it!  As I continue to digest God's messages to me - that is what gives me life. Without that, I'm as valuable as a life-less puppet.  With God's life in me, however, my life is able to tell a wonderful story of God's love and creative power!  Thank you, God, for Your guidance and Your power and love in me!

Not only does this verse say that we were created in God's image, but also that we were made to be like God.  This word can mean likeness in form and in manner.  Paul assures us there is both a physical and a spiritual body (I Cor 15:44), so indeed our spiritual body may be similar to God's in form.  I'm sure I don't know.  What strikes me here is the importance of being like God in manner - and that God created me to be that!  I am intended to take on God's attributes. There are many of these that are important, but one which stand out to me in this moment is "creativity".  This whole study in the first chapter of Genesis has been encouraging me to step more fully into the creative.  After all, God has been giving me a step-by-step primer on how to do so.   But this verse shows me that He CREATED ME to be creative - I was made in the image of the Creator God!  Yes, it is God that works in me, and it is what I am meant to do! 

As I ponder this, I don't think this creativity is simply a focus on the arts.  While that might be included for some people, I think the real issue with creativity is not being bound by what has come before, but being willing to step into something new. God wants to make of me a new creature!  (II Cor. 5:17) 

As I looked up this passage in II Corinthians, I found myself thinking of the challenge of having a houseful of people in my home today when we are up against deadlines that already feel difficult to meet.  How can we be good hosts and still get the things done that we need to get done?  Then I read these words:
"So from now on we don't think of anyone from a human point of view. If we did think of Christ from a human point of view, we don't anymore. Whoever is a believer in Christ is a new creation. The old way of living has disappeared. A new way of living has come into existence. God has done all this. He has restored our relationship with him through Christ, and has given us this ministry of restoring relationships." 2 Corinthians 5:16-19, emphasis mine (from GOD'S WORD Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations Bible Society. All rights reserved.)
Okay, I've got my directions for today, don't I?  This is such an important part of God's manner - His active working to restore relationships.  As a being created in His likeness, this is also meant to be a part of my "manner", and I need to be willing to step more fully into this way of relating to life and the people around me.

Father, forgive me for imagining that you are not able to "keep everything running right" (Ps. 119:164) in my life if we have a houseful of guests today!  I have asked for your will to be done in my life, and I DO believe that it IS BEING DONE! I ask for your continued guidance and direction that things may proceed according to YOUR plan.  Thank you that you have promised that you will continue the work you have begun in me (Phil 1:6), and that you will work in me both "to will and to do of your good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).  May I sit at YOUR feet today rather than being worried about many things like Martha (Luke 10:38-42).  Once again I stop and shout your praises for the way you keep everything running right!  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *