About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Evening Wolves

This morning, I awoke early.  There is much on my mind as various deadlines for my work draw ever closer.  Psalms 127:1,2 is much on my mind.  A reminder that I need to let "the Lord build the house" and that "it is useless to get up early and to stay up late, eating the food of exhausting labor - truly he gives sleep to those he loves".  Those verses sit in my mind as a question mark.  Am I trying to do what is God's to do? Am I over-doing things? I AM getting up early and working, but not staying up late. And I AM seeking guidance as I move forward.  

What is most on my mind this morning is whether to say "yes" to another opportunity that has come my way.  I really think it's something I need to do, though I'm nervous at the thought of it, so have been procrastinating about it.  This morning I need clear guidance about it, so I prayed, sharing my doubts and fears with my heavenly father.  As I turned to my study materials, I came across a short devotional by Charles Spurgeon.  It was based on Habakkuk 1:8.  
"Their horses also are swifter than the leopards, and are more fierce than the evening wolves: and their horsemen shall spread themselves, and their horsemen shall come from far; they shall fly as the eagle that hasteth to eat." KJV
Spurgeon said the phrase "evening wolves" from that verse kept coming back to him so he wrote about it.  And guess what he had to say about those evening wolves!  He said they were more fierce in the evening because of having been frustrated as they sought their prey throughout the day, and likened it to the doubts and fears that seem to sometimes be worse at night after a long day spent dealing with the world around us and the frustrations we may have faced.  He then reminded me that "the Lord is my shepherd" (Ps 23:1) and the good shepherd protects his sheep from those howling wolves.  That is clearly the protection I need for my day today as I hear all those voices of doubt and fear in my mind.  Father, please protect me from those wolves!

Father, today I look to you to silence the doubt and fear in my mind and to "make my path straight"; to clearly direct me as I face decision points throughout my day, that I may remain within your will.  Please give me the ability to hear you, the willingness to follow, and the power to do so, I pray.  Thank you that you have promised to work in me both to will and to do of your good pleasure.  I am so grateful, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *