About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Do Lists

I was speaking to someone yesterday about how my to do list just seems to grow rather than getting shorter, so this morning as I was reading, the words in Matthew 11:28-30 stood out to me:
"Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives. The teaching that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light."  (New Century Version)
For over a week, it seemed I was unable to get a good night's sleep. I'm sleeping again now, but still catching up on my sleep, so definitely qualify as tired! "Accept my teachings and learn from me" - Father, what is it that you want me to learn and accept? As I ponder these verses the word "because" jumps out at me. Is it possible that I will find rest for my life in part BECAUSE Jesus is gentle and humble in spirit and I should learn these attributes from Him. It strikes me that I need to cultivate gentleness and humility if I am to follow His example and that this is what will bring me rest.

Father, too often I speak before thinking and thus my words are not as gentle as they could be. And I can be pretty harsh with myself, too, - especially when it comes to accomplishing what is on my to do list! And too often pride rears it's ugly head in me. Father, I ask that these things be removed from me. May I be yoked with you and thus only go where you go - do and say what you put within me.  

How would an attitude of humility and teachability affect my burdens today? I hear the words of Paul to the Philipians, "Let this mind be in you that was also in Christ Jesus."(Phil 2:5)  As the New Century Version puts it: 
In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus. Christ himself was like God in everything. But he did not think that being equal with God was something to be used for his own benefit. But he gave up his place with God and made himself nothing. He was born to be a man and became like a servant. And when he was living as a man, he humbled himself and was fully obedient to God, even when that caused his death — death on a cross. Phil 2:5-8
Father, clearly if I am to follow Jesus example, I am not to use the strength you give me for my own benefit.  I am to be like a servant - fully obedient to you. What does this mean for me today, Father?  What does it mean for my to do list?  Are there tasks on there that You see do not belong there?  Please guide my thoughts and understanding as I seek to do your will this day.

As I continue reading in Matthew, I realize that the first passage I quoted, is immediately followed by stories about how Jesus and his disciples didn't conform to all the rules and regulations concerning Sabbath keeping that the spiritual leaders of the day had in place.  And the questions comes to me - Am I burdened down with too many expectations, rules, and regulations? Are there things I'm expecting of myself that are not God's guidance, but simply expectations based on things I've been taught or learned from others?  This could indeed be a source of increased burdens! For example, when I prepare food, are there guidelines I'm trying to follow that are man-made and make things more complicated than they need to be? Where else might I be following rules of men instead of the voice of God without even realizing it?

Father, thank you for this reminder that the burdens you intend for me to carry are not mine alone, but we will carry them together as I yoke with you!  Thank you for the assurance that the burdens you intend for me to carry are LIGHT!  Once again this morning I come to you asking you to be my teacher. Please show me the way!  You know the burdens on my mind and heart. As I yoke with you this morning, I look to you for guidance concerning them. What is mine to do? What is simply the expectations of others? What stems from pride rather than the simple willingness to be your servant? What would you have me do this day? Thank you, Father, for your yoke and guidance this day!  It strikes me that I don't need to THINK a lot about these things, but simply accept your yoke.  With the yoke in place, it will be very clear what direction you wish to go, and I simply follow!  May this be my experience today, Father. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *