About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Grace

My husband and I have been asked to showcase a dance at a statewide dance festival in about a month and a half.  The dance will be a Foxtrot and is one of the harder rhythms to make look graceful.  We're practicing and working on issues of technique, but I sometimes wonder if we will ever be as graceful as we'd like to be.  Since we practiced last night before bed, it was on my mind as I went to sleep.  This morning I woke up with a verse on my mind that made me laugh at God's humor - and be filled with gratitude at the same time.
"Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come before God's throne where there is grace. There we can receive mercy and grace to help us when we need it."  (Heb 4:16 NCV, emphasis mine)
What a promise for me at this time!!!!  My first thought was, "I know that isn't what that word in the Bible is really referring to."  But then I realized I was in danger of tossing away God's gift of reassurance to me!  I decided to do a bit more looking at what the Bible says about grace.  

It's a word that is used A LOT, but one verse really jumped out at me. It's a verse from I Peter and says:
"GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." (I Peter 5:5 - New American Standard, Updated)
Clearly I'm being given instruction here.  If I am in a space of pride, I can't expect the grace I want!  Immediately, I think of another verse that reinforces this idea:
"Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall." (Prov 16:18 - Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
I CERTAINLY don't want to fall as we dance the showcase!

Father,  as we dance this showcase, and in all of my life, I want to be an open channel for your love and grace to flow through.  Father, I want all bits of pride removed - and I don't want to fall!  May I be teachable with true humility of spirit, not thinking of myself more highly than I ought, but measuring my value by the amount of faith you have given me (Rom 12:3).  Father, I want to trust you in this showcase - and in all the rest of my life.  As the Biblical father said, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief." (Mark 9:24) Thank you, Father, for lifting my fear and anxiety about this showcase as I accept your promise of grace.  I love you, Lord. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *