About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled

I've been reading what Jesus had to say toward the end of his journey here on earth.  As He tries to prepare his disciples for the hours ahead - his arrest, trial and crucifixion - I figure what He told them in his final hours at the Last Supper and later in the garden would be what He felt to be of paramount importance and thus particularly important to study. As I read, I was struck by the timing of these words from John:
"Simon Peter asked him, 'Lord, where are you going?' Jesus replied, 'Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.' Peter asked, 'Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.' Then Jesus answered, 'Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times! Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.'" (John 13:36 to 14:4 NIV)
The first thing that struck me in this passage is that these words are all connected!  I've read these words many times, but somehow, because of the way the chapters are arranged, I've usually thought of the forecasting of Peter's betrayal at the end of chapter 13 and the "Don't let your hearts be troubled" passage at the beginning of chapter 14 as two completely separate things. But they follow each other with no break! What a blessing to realize that a part of what Jesus was saying as He called for the disciples to trust in God and in Himself was that He understood Peter's weakness and would not condemn Him for it!  This is such a comfort to me when I have fallen and done something I shouldn't have done or not done something I should have done!  There are many times my heart can be troubled and it is not just because of the sorts of fears that arise from persecution like Jesus was facing.  It can also be very troubled when I betray my Lord - as was Peter's.  How compassionate a God we serve to have comforted Peter before the fact!

The second thing that strikes me are the words "Do not let your hearts be troubled." This suggests that we have some control over our troubled hearts.  Surely we wouldn't be admonished to not let our hearts be troubled if there was nothing we could do!  And the prescription is right there.  "Trust in God; trust also in me."  So, whatever emotion is troubling my heart - fear, sorrow, guilt, anxiety - I need to ask myself the question, "Where am I not trusting in God?"  That answer points me to the part of my life I have not yet fully trusted to God so I can turn it over to Him.

Thank you, Father, for your incredible love!  Thank you for your compassion and your grace, and for the understanding that we can live life with untroubled hearts!  Forgive me for those places in my life where I have yet to trust you fully.  Father, I want to be ALL yours!  Thank you for the promise that you will take me to be with you! I am so grateful, Father, for all that you are in my life! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *