About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Gathering the Remnants

Sometimes it's so hard to be consistent in my life!  Whether it's fixing healthy meals, keeping my house clean and organized, exercising my body, or seeking spiritual nourishment, too often for me it's either "feast or famine."  Why is it so hard for me to be consistent?

I recently blogged about leftovers, including Jesus' instructions to "gather the remnants that nothing be lost" (John 6:12 paraphrased).  These words continue to stick with me.  As I've contemplated them more, I've begun to realize that this is part of the key to consistency. Using leftovers is part of what makes it easier for me to be consistent in life!

For example, when it comes to cooking healthy meals, it can take quite a bit of time.  If I cook a meal from scratch every time I need to eat, I don't get a lot else done (and thus can't be consistent in the other areas in my life)!  But, if I make good use of leftovers, I can just re-heat them and eat them later in the week, saving myself a lot of time in the kitchen.   I can even put some of the leftovers in the freezer and have a quick meal to pull out when unexpected circumstances mean I have no time to cook.

In my previous blog about leftovers, I was mostly focused on the physical realm of "things".  But as usual I'm finding application beyond the material.  Where else do I need to gather the remnants?

One place I've realized I need to be doing this is with my spiritual feasts. Some days I am fed such a spiritual feast that it is not possible to blog about it all - I'd be at it all day.  At times like this, I don't always fully digest the whole of what I've been given.  It's just too much to "eat" in one sitting. Yesterday, as I was thinking about this, I realized I could "gather the remnants" into a file on my computer where I just listed the verses that I didn't blog about and the thoughts that flitted through my head.  Then, I could continue to feed from these spiritual leftovers on other days when nothing else was put in my mind. Perhaps like day-old soup that tastes even better than the first time it was served (as the flavors have had a chance to blend more thoroughly), I might find these spiritual leftovers to be the base of a meal that is both nourishing and very delicious!

Where else might I need to be "gathering the remnants"?  Earlier this week I spent HOURS of very hard work preparing my home for a visitor.  I got a lot done, but found myself so frustrated for having let things get to the place that it was so much work to get things back in shape.  Why can't I be more consistent about keeping my house clean and organized?  As I thought about this, I realized much of the problem is a tendency I've developed to do enough to get by but not fully complete my tasks.  Too often I'll do a job till it's 90% or even 95% done, but I won't finish it. I need to gather these 5% leftovers!  For example, after friends and family leave my home after an evening visit, if I take the extra two (or even 10) minutes needed to straighten things up and put things away (instead of heading straight to bed), I would be more energized in the morning as I faced a clean house (and those few things wouldn't be sitting out drawing more clutter to them!)

Perhaps there are also remnants of time that I could gather that too often go to waste.  As I'm waiting for something to heat in the microwave, for example, I could do some exercises, I could empty the dishwasher, or I could start a load of laundry.  Where might I need to gather leftover time?  What other leftovers might I need to gather?

As I continue thinking more about these ideas - feast or famine - using leftovers - consistency.  I'm realizing that part of the challenge with consistency is my expectation. I've been a glutton! I've expected a feast every time and have too often been discontent with leftovers and just tossed them aside - not just with physical food, but in many areas of my life - including spiritual food!  Instead of treating the leftovers as the nourishing bits that they are, gathering them with care and letting my creativity flow as I seek to use them, I've too often seen them as valueless and "stale". 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your guidance in my life!  Please forgive my gluttony and the way I've too often treated leftovers with such disdain. There is so much for me to learn about making better use of leftovers - such a wealth of value in that one object lesson Jesus set for us as you fed the 5000!  Father, may I be willing to gather and use the leftovers in my life and be more consistent in living the life you would have me live.  Please open my eyes to the many other examples of "leftovers" that can be gathered to make my life flow more smoothly. And may I honor the gifts you have given - from food to time to spiritual ideas - and treat the remnants with the respect they deserve!  Thank you once again for my daily bread, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *