About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cast Your Cares on the Lord

In my Bible software, I have a set of daily devotionals by famous preacher Charles Spurgeon and they can give me a lot of food for thought.  Yesterday's devotional was based on a verse from the Psalms - "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you;" (Psalms 55:22, NIV)

Here are some excerpts from what Spurgeon had to say about it:
"The precept to avoid anxious care is earnestly inculcated by our Saviour, again and again; it is reiterated by the apostles; and it is one which cannot be neglected without involving transgression: for the very essence of anxious care is the imagining that we are wiser than God, and the thrusting ourselves into His place to do for Him that which He has undertaken to do for us. . . . He who cannot calmly leave his affairs in God's hand, but will carry his own burden, is very likely to be tempted to use wrong means to help himself. This sin leads to a forsaking of God as our counsellor, and resorting instead to human wisdom. . . . Anxiety makes us doubt God's lovingkindness . . . so that our prayers become hindered, our consistent example marred, and our life one of self-seeking. (from Spurgeon's Morning & Evening, PC Study Bible formatted electronic database Copyright © 1999, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Wow!  How foolish to imagine even for an instant that we are wiser than God!  I am so grateful that God is willing to take our burdens - and that His "yoke is easy" and His "burden is light"! (Matt 11:30) This morning I praise Him for relief of a very specific burden as I've been receiving healing of a physical challenge, as well as ability and courage to move forward into the tasks He has called me to undertake. 

Father, I am SO grateful to enter your courts with thanksgiving and praise this morning!  Thank you for healing, for strength, for courage, for talents, for friends and loved ones.  I am so grateful for your many blessings!  I think of a verse I learned in childhood - "You, Lord, give true peace to those who depend on you,because they trust you." (Isaiah 26:3)  Thank you, Father for that peace - a peace that passes beyond all understanding.  A peace we can experience no matter what challenges we face at any given moment.  May I indeed keep my eyes on you, trusting in you rather than leaning on my own understanding.  May I better understand how to acknowledge you in all my ways, Father, as I truly want you to direct my path. (Prov 3:6).  Amen.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Thank you for your post. It is very obvious that, while I would never THINK that I am wiser than God, there have been many occasions in which I have ACTED as though I were. Every time I set out to do ANYTHING without without knowing His plan in its regard, I am putting my own "wisdom" above His. If Jesus had to admit that "of mine own self I can do nothing," how much more that is true for me. Your posts are a blessing to me.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *