About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Great Door

This morning I was once again reading excerpts from John Wesley's journal.  As he was talking about his work with passengers aboard a ship in which he was traveling, he quoted a verse I did not remember seeing before.  As is my custom, when something grabs my attention, I try to take notice, figuring it is God's spirit speaking to me about something.  This was the verse that caught my eye:
 "For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries." 1 Corinthians 16:9  KJV
I decided to see how the International Standard Version put it, and backed up enough to understand the context.  Paul was writing about his plans and said, "I’ll stay on in Ephesus until Pentecost, because a door has opened wide for me to do effective work, although many people are opposing me." 1 Corinthians 16:8-9  ISV  For some reason, this felt like God speaking to me about a project on which I have been working.  

For some time I have known He had led me to this project, but have not understood "why".  Knowing I don't have to know why, but simply need to be obedient, I set aside such questions and simply continued with the work that had been set before me.  This past weekend, I was given a glimpse of the "why" in a conversation I had with someone. I felt such joy as I heard this person speak appreciation of the deep spiritual foundation they recognized in my activities, despite the fact that this project is quite mundane and it is generally inappropriate to speak of spiritual things in the course of working on this project.  It was so encouraging to hear!  I've known a "great door" had been opened for me but had wondered about the "effectual" part. Clearly both in that conversation, and in this passage, I'm being reassured about the effectiveness of my efforts.  As I write that, it seems so foolish that I should need it.  I've known that God opened the doors and has daily given me the wisdom and strength I need to do his will.  Why would I even consider that it wouldn't be effective?  And yet, even Jesus ministry was not effective for everyone, and I have indeed felt some results from people who "are opposing me".  I am grateful this morning for the encouragement I have received.

I have wondered, however, how long things will continue as they have been.  Financial needs have been met so far, but the project is NOT paying for itself, and unless that changes, we cannot continue indefinitely.  I have been thinking that we might not be able to continue past this coming spring.  Once again, these are questions I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about because I know that God is in charge.  I know that "He that hath begun a good work" in me will see it to completion (Phil 1:6), and I also know the "laborer is worthy of his hire" (Luke 10:7), and sometimes it is time to move on.

It was in this context that I read this verse from I Corinthians.  After recognizing and appreciating the affirmation of the "effectiveness" of the open door that was set before me, one of my first thoughts was "when is Pentecost"?  A search shows that it is June 8 of this coming year. That is certainly later than I had thought things might need to fold.  Glancing through the dates for Pentecost, I see that in the last 20 years or so, the earliest it fell was May 15, and the latest was June 12, so the 8th is clearly on the later side this coming year. I then did a quick check of the Eastern calendar, knowing that the timing of these religious holidays don't always coincide on the Eastern and the Western calendars.  This year, the two were over a month apart, but I find it interesting to note that in 2014 they fall on the same day! Only God knows the future and His plans for me.  I don't feel this as clear guidance that this is the way we are to plan or the way things for sure will go, but I do feel it as a possibility.  So, I will follow Mary's example and simply "ponder these things" in my heart (Luke 2:19), knowing God will give me clarity about these things when the time is right.

Father, thank you for once again giving me my daily bread!  I continue to be amazed at the way you feed me when I am willing to take time to eat!  Father, I recognize that taking time to eat is not something I'm always ready to do - in the spiritual or in the physical realms.  Once again I ask that your will be done in my life this day.  I am grateful for the spiritual food you have provided, and I now go to partake also of the physical food I need.  Thank you for your gentle reminders, Father!  Please continue to guide my path.  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *