About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Companions

This morning, I decided to browse some of the many books that came with my Bible software.  One of these is a book of excerpts from John Wesley's diary.  The introduction to this book gives background on Wesley's life.  As I was reading this intro, something jumped out at me.  The author was describing an influential encounter Wesley had had with a "serious man" who said something that profoundly affected the course of  Wesley's life.  This is what the man said, "Sir, you wish to serve God and go to heaven. Remember you cannot serve Him alone. You must therefore find companions or make them. The Bible knows nothing of solitary religion."

This quote stirs a multitude of thoughts.  One thought train is about the passages I've read in the Bible that speak to the importance of meeting the needs of those around us.  I've discussed some of this in some earlier blog posts: Why This Blog, The Least of These, More on The Least of These.  Another thought train is the commission Jesus gave his disciples, "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15 KJV  This, indeed, is NOT a call to the life of a hermit, but a call to get out among people.  My natural inclination is to spend much of my time alone, but that is certainly NOT the example that Jesus lived for us.

This is not something I have ever really thought about before.  It brings one more facet of my new job into view.  This job requires me to spend time with others.  I do not always find this easy to do, and it's often tempting to retreat into my own little world where I don't have to deal with the hurt feelings I can get from the way some people treat me or others. But perhaps learning to interact more graciously and lovingly through situations such as these and develop a thicker skin is an important part of my own character building.  And, perhaps, I might also be a positive influence in some way in my interactions with others. 
"You must therefore find companions or make them. The Bible knows nothing of solitary religion."
As I ponder these things, I realize something else.  In the past, my tendency has been to get busy with "work", whatever that might be at any given time, and put off enjoying time with friends and family.  I was raised that it was important to get your work done first - and THEN you could play.  But of course, as I've become an adult, I've discovered that I can NEVER get my work completely done! There is always something more to do.  In recent months, I've found myself chanting a mantra when facing decisions of how to spend my time - "People are more important".  I don't remember where that idea first came from, but it was something that had been clearly impressed on me in recent months, and an idea I am working to more fully incorporate into my life.  For someone like myself, with tendencies toward both plenty of time alone and workaholism, putting these ideas into practice has not always been easy.  Today's message, however, repeats the theme and reminds me that people are indeed important.

Father, thank you once again for your guidance.  You know how easy it is for me to find myself "out of sorts" when I have spent a lot of time around people and not had much time by myself.  And yet, in recent weeks, I've had very little time to myself and been kept very busy meeting the needs of others in this new job.  Once again I ask you to fill me with your joy, that I may do the work you've called me to in a way which glorifies you.  May my interactions be joy-filled and may those with whom I come in contact be blessed as I strive to be an open channel for your love to flow through.  Thank you, Father!  And Father, thank you for the companions you have sent me as I make this journey through life - those kindred spirits that are a part of bring your joy into my life.  I am so grateful, Father for these friends and loved ones.  Thank you, Father! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *