About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Praise God!

Some days it can be so tempting to let my morning time with God go!  On days like today it feels like there is SO much to get accomplished and SO little time in which to complete it, that I caught myself considering letting my morning devotional time slide!  BUT, I remember that "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it" (Ps 127:1) and I choose to continue to take my focused time with God, despite my busy schedule.

God reminds me that if I will relax and let Him lead, things happen as they are supposed to happen.  I remember an incident earlier this week where I experienced what felt like a "time standing still" (Josh 10:13,) miracle.  I consciously chose to put God and His plans first, despite some very real deadlines that felt impossible to meet.  And yet, when the time came to work toward those deadlines, I was able to accomplish what I needed to in 1/2 the time I had for it - even though I had thought the time I had might not be enough!  The miracle that day was 2-fold: First, I awoke with a clear idea that would make things much easier - an idea I KNEW was straight from God as it was so different from what I had been thinking; and second, time literally seemed to stand still! In fact, I found myself watching the clock and thinking, "Is it REALLY only 8:30?  I thought last time I looked it said 9:00! . . .  Really? I'm done and it's only 10:15? I figured I'd be working on this until 2:00 or later!"  What an amazing time that was!  . . . And how quickly I forget. :(

I don't know why I'm such a slow learner.  With an experience like that just this week, why would I be even TEMPTED to let go of my time with God? I KNOW my goals would not have been reached without His miracles that day.  Why would today be any different? 

I think of the verses that were brought to me a couple of days ago:  "Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, for his wonderful works to the children of men."  I say "verses" plural because this sentence is repeated FOUR times in the same chapter! (Ps. 107:8, 15, 21, 31) 

The need to praise God is something that is repeatedly mentioned in the Bible, and something that I think is too often misunderstood.  Too often we read those admonitions as though God had a big ego that needed to be fed by our continued adoration.  In my experience, this is just NOT the case!  These admonitions are for US!  WE are the ones that benefit when we take the time to praise God for his goodness and wonderful works!  It's about focus of attention.  What we focus on multiplies! 

Try it for yourself and see.  When I focus on my troubles and challenges, they multiply until I'm feeling totally overwhelmed.  When I focus on God's goodness, my experience of THAT multiplies, and I have more and more things to praise Him about! The question is simple. Which do I want to see multiplied in my life? Troubles or Blessings?  The answer is pretty clear.  No wonder the Psalmist repeated himself four times! 

Father, this morning I once again praise you for your many blessings and marvelous miracles on my behalf.  You said that you set before me an "open door that no one can shut" (Rev 3:8), and I am seeing it playing out before my very eyes.  So many blessings opening up for me!  So many opportunities.  Just this morning, another one - the opportunity to take lessons to support what we are doing for 1/4 the normal cost!!!!  Thank you, Father!  Father, I trust YOU to indeed "keep everything running right" (Ps 119:164), and I am SO grateful that I can trust you to work it all out.  If it weren't for you, and your miracles, I'd be running the other way in fear, but I know that YOU will keep my foot from slipping (Ps 121:3), and will keep me in perfect peace as I keep my mind on you where it belongs (Is 26:3).  Thank you, Father!  Please continue to work your will in my life today.  Guide my thoughts and actions that they may be timely and I may accomplish those things that YOU see are the most important ones!  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

A challenge for me as well... And I, too, have experienced the difference. Why is it still a challenge? Thanks for the reminder!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *