About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

"You Give Them Something"

This week I was listening to the radio when a pastor started talking about the feeding of the 5000.  He quoted this passage from Mark:
By this time it was late in the day, so his disciples came to him. "This is a remote place," they said, "and it's already very late. Send the people away so they can go to the surrounding countryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat."
But he answered, "You give them something to eat."
They said to him, "That would take eight months of a man's wages! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it to them to eat?" 
"How many loaves do you have?" he asked. "Go and see." 
When they found out, they said, "Five — and two fish." 
Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass. So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces of bread and fish. The number of the men who had eaten was five thousand.     (Mark 6:35-44 NIV)
I don't know how many times I've heard this story - LOTS & LOTS!  But that day, it spoke to me in a way I'd never seen it before.  I could just hear the disciples saying, "Are we supposed to spend 8 months wages just to feed all these people?"  But Jesus told them they ALREADY HAD what they needed.  How often am I like those disciples, thinking that in order to do something I've been called to do I need to spend lots of resources that I don't feel I have to spare?  These words remind me that He's already given me everything I need!

So where am I needing that reminder today?  For me today the issue is not a physical meal - not even an emotional or spiritual one - though I am grateful for those, too.  The issue is time.  I am working on an on-going project that seems like no matter how much time I spend it is never enough and I'm never prepared as I think I need to be.  Jesus reminds me to give thanks and use what I have, trusting God to meet the needs of those I'm serving.  

I hear these words with a sense of relief - I DON'T have to burn the candle at both ends trying to prepare!  But, on the heels of those thoughts comes the realization.  This requires naked faith!  Look at what Jesus did.  He told 5000 men with their women and children to sit down in groups of 50 & 100 and proceeded to feed them with 5 small loaves and 2 fish!  How embarrassing if it didn't work out as he thought!

As I ponder this, I wonder how often I miss out on God's blessings because I'm afraid of being embarrassed!  Jesus has promised that His "yoke is easy" and His "burden is light" (Matt 11:30), yet I'm afraid too often I end up working (and worrying) really hard when perhaps I could be experiencing a lighter burden.  I think of the words of James "You have not because you ask not." (James 4:2)  and, "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering." (James 1:6)

So, for today, I hear myself being told to let go of concerns about "having enough" and to use what I have, trusting God to see that it is enough.  It's scary to do this in the type of public situation that I face, but I ask myself, "Do I believe God can be trusted or not?"  Though my faith may be small as a mustard seed, the answer is that I DO know that God can be trusted.  

So, today, Father, I once again turn to you, trusting you to meet my needs.  Please guide my thoughts and actions in alignment with your will.  Thank you for the "open door" and the reminder that it is YOU that "builds this house" and "keeps everything running right".  Father, you know how scary it is for me to let go of that "Martha" part of me that is "careful and troubled about many things" (Luke 10:41), but I choose to believe your word and trust you.  Please guide my steps and keep me from falling as you've promised!  Please direct my mind and my activities so that which is needful is done.  Thank you for the assurance that I "have enough"!  YOU are all I need, Father, and I thank you for the reminder.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *