About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, October 18, 2013

Why Are You in Despair?

This morning as I was searching my concordance for verses about praising God, this one jumped out at me because it is repeated word for word 3 times!  Anytime I come across something like that it makes me pause because I figure that if something is repeated, it's probably pretty important.  Here is the verse I'm speaking of:
"Why are you in despair, my soul? Why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God, for once again I will  praise him, since his presence saves me." (Psalms 42:5, Ps 42:11, Ps 43:5 ISV)
From time to time I have experienced times of depression - particularly this time of the year as we start to see less and less sunshine.  At times the lack of sun really affects me as it does many others who deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder.  This repeated verse reminds me what to do.  No matter how bleak things may seem, I am to continue to hope in God and to once again praise Him. 

I am coming to understand more and more how important it is to praise God.  Before I understood His nature as I do now, I actually thought all the calls to praise God in the Bible were to try to appease some powerful being in the sky.  I now know better.  God does not have a big ego that needs to be fed.  Praising God is for ME:
  • As I continue to praise, my spirits are lifted as I remember the many miracles God has performed for me in the past.
  • As I continue to praise I remember that "He who began a good work in (me) will carry it on to completion" (Phil 1:6).   
  • As I continue to praise, I KNOW He is working on my behalf at this very moment - even if it doesn't feel like it!  
  • As I continue to praise, I find more to praise as my mind turns from my troubles to my Solution.
Thank you, Father, for this amazing gift you have given us - the gift of praise!  I think of the words of a song, "God is so wonderful!  I can't explain.  But I can say, 'Glory hallelujah, praise His holy name!'"  And I think of the words of the Psalmist, "LORD, my God, You have done great things: marvelous works and your thoughts toward us. There is no one who compares to you! I will try to recite your actions, even though there are too many to number." (Psalms 40:5 ISV)  

Father, I am grateful for your understanding.  I have no reason to despair or to fear.  You have shown me that over and over.  And yet I still find myself with those feelings at times.  I am so grateful for your patient nature as I continue to learn to trust you more fully and to use the tools you've provided - faith, praise, gratitude, and rejoicing.  

Father, you know my heart, and the pockets of fear that still lurk there.  Though I fear the flames, Lord, I seek Your refining fire to burn away that dross and leave me full of nothing but faith and praise and love for you.  Grant me courage to face whatever comes my way, as that fear comes up to be cleansed away by you. Grant me peace as I continue to walk the path you have set before me.  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me that I may walk fully upheld by faith in you. 

Father, thank you that you have promised to see the work you have begun in me to completion.  Thank you that you have promised to keep me from falling!  (Jude 24, Ps 17:5, Ps 18:36)  I do not want to stand in your way Lord.  Please bring my will and my thoughts into alignment with yours, that I may move forward in full confidence as I rejoice in YOU - my strength and my redeemer.  

Thank you, Father, that you are such a loving and powerful Father!  I know I can trust you to bring about that which is for my best good. I've seen such miracles, Father, that I know NOTHING can stand in your way - not even me!  Thank you for being such a power working in my life for my best good.  How can I do anything but praise you?  Thank you, Father!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *