About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Thankful in ALL Things

The last few days I've had opportunity to really think deeply about the idea that we should be giving thanks to God in ALL things - no matter what happens. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 is an example of this admonition.  It says, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (KJV)  If I've prayed "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven", then I must accept that whatever occurs is the will of God concerning me (or else believe my prayer has gone unheard, which I DON'T believe).  As I've shared many times on this blog, another verse that has had a big impact on me is this one from  Psalms 119:164, "Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right." (from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

But sometimes, in our humanness, it can be SO hard to see and believe that God is keeping everything running right! I've had some physical challenges the last few days that have given me an opportunity to think more deeply about these things.  On a purely human and physical level, it sure hasn't seemed like God was keeping everything running right in my body!  And yet, this has been an opportunity to take the idea that no matter how things look God IS keeping everything running right, and start to understand and apply it in a very concrete way.  So, several times over the last few days, I've asked myself the question, "What if all really IS running right?  How might this challenge be working for my very best good?" After all, Romans 8:28 reminds me that "All things work together for good to them that love God".  While my love certainly has not been fully perfected, I certainly DO love God, so this is a promise I can hold on to when things in my life don't go as I thought they should. 

As I've dealt with the challenges I've faced this week, seeking to better understand God's will for me, knowing that God wants the best for me, I've come to understand that perhaps what I've been experiencing is discipline.  The opportunity to experience the consequences of my actions so that I can make better choices. As I was reading this morning, these verses jumped out at me. 
"And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.  Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."(1 Corinthians 9:25-27 NKJV)
And I had to ask myself, have I been "temperate in all things"?  Have I been disciplining my body?  The ISV puts it this way:
"Everyone who enters an athletic contest practices self-control in everything. They do it to win a wreath that withers away, but we run to win a prize that never fades. That is the way I run, with a clear goal in mind. That is the way I fight, not like someone shadow boxing. No, I keep on disciplining my body, making it serve me so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not somehow be disqualified." (ISV)
Have I been practicing self-control?  The answer is simply "not always - sometimes better than others".  What if the physical challenges I've been experiencing have been to help me learn better self-discipline and temperance in the way I treat my body?  If I pour sand into the gas tank of my car, I can't be too surprised if it doesn't work well.  Likewise, my body needs proper care, including the best nourishment, exercise, etc.  There have been times this week as I've stopped to shout praises as instructed in that verse in Psalms, when I've found myself saying, "But He isn't keeping everything running right, look what's going on in my body."  But my body was designed to function a certain way.  I have to realize that it IS indeed running the way it was designed to run!  I haven't been taking care of it as I should, and have experienced results that are to be expected under those conditions.  What I've also seen is that as I take a step forward to better take care of myself, healing sometimes occurs far more rapidly than one could possibly expect.   

Thank you, God!  Clearly you are indeed keeping everything running right, and teaching me how I can best support you in that endeavor with regards to taking care of my body.  Thank you, Father, for being such a gentle disciplinarian.  Thank you for the promise that the work you've begun in my you will see to completion.  Again this morning I seek your will in my life.  May my will be brought into alignment with yours, and may my thoughts, words and actions be as you would have them be is my prayer this morning Father.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *