About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, October 27, 2013

In the Morning

Once again this morning as I awoke and starting thinking and talking with God about my day, a song came to mind.  It was this: "Lord in the morning Thou shalt hear my voice ascending high.  To Thee will I direct my prayer, to Thee lift up mine eye."  It was followed swiftly by this one, "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord. . . . Sing unto the Lord a new song".  I realized that I had concerns about my day and my temptation was to start making requests of God regarding them.  These snippets of songs reminded me of the importance of gratitude and praise - and filled me with gratitude for God's gentle reminders to me.

With the words of that first song ringing in my ears, I decided to see some of what the Bible has to say about how to use our time in the morning (all of the following quotes are from the International Standard Version).  Of course, the first verse I turned to was the one the song was loosely based in - Psalms 5:3.  "LORD, in the morning you will hear my voice; in the morning I will pray to you, and I will watch for your answer."  This verse reminds me that God DOES answer my prayers.  I've been praying all along about the events of this day, and I know He does indeed hear me.  This morning I want Him also to hear my gratitude for that fact - not just a litany of my concerns!

Another verse jumped out at me.  As I looked through verses about morning.  It was this one from Ecclesiastes 11:6.  It says, "Sow your seed in the morning, and don’t stop working until evening, since you don’t know which of your endeavors will do well, whether this one or that, or even if both will do equally well." What occurs today is something for which I've been preparing for several weeks.  This morning I was thinking about Jesus teaching us not to worry about tomorrow, and yet some things clearly take preparation - sometimes quite a bit of preparation, as this task did.  This verse was reassurance.  Yes, I am to prepare - to sow my seed in the morning and continue working throughout the day - but I am not to WORRY about what seed will take root.  I'm just to do that which is placed before me and trust God for the outcome.

As I thought about that, this verse from Psalms 143:8 jumped out at me, "In the morning let me hear of your gracious love, for in you I trust. Cause me to know the way I should take, because I have set my hope on you."  As I read that, I remembered a quote I came across that says that with God, "every bidding is an enabling".  I believe this to be true, as I've experienced time and time again that when He asks me to do something, no matter how beyond my ability it seems, He gives me the ability to do it.  Thus, I paraphrase this verse this way - "In the morning I remember your gracious love and that I can trust you.  You are guiding me in the way I should take and I am grateful, Father."

The next verse to catch my eye was this one from Psalms 92:1-2 - "It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing praise to your name, Most High; to proclaim your gracious love in the morning and your faithfulness at night".  I have certainly seen this to be true!  And it's a good reminder for me.  This morning, Father, I indeed stop and shout your praises for the way you keep everything running right! (Ps 119:164)

Again, Psalms 59:16-17 reminds me, "But I will sing of your power and in the morning I will shout for joy about your gracious love. For you have been a fortress for me; and a refuge when I am distressed. My Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, God of Gracious Love, are my fortress.Father, I am SO grateful!!!!

For those times where things don't go as I might wish, there is this reminder in Psalms 30:4-12, "You, his godly ones, sing to the LORD, give thanks at the mention of his holiness. For his wrath is only momentary; yet his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may lodge for the night, but shouts of joy will come in the morning. As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I will never be moved.” By your favor, LORD, you established me as a strong mountain; Then you hid your face, and I was dismayed. I cried out to you, LORD, and I make supplication to the Lord: “What profit is there in my death if I go down to the Pit? Can dust worship you? Can it proclaim your faithfulness?” Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me! LORD, help me! You have turned my mourning into dancing; you took off my sackcloth and clothed me with a garment of joy, so that I may sing praise to you and not remain silent. LORD, my God, I will give you thanks forever!"  As I go forth this day to dance with my Heavenly Father, I give thanks that indeed He turns my mourning into dancing!   

"Great, is Thy faithfulness, Oh God, My Father!"  I am so VERY grateful!  This morning I once again praise you.  I thank you for a good sleep last night - Truly you give sleep to those you love! (Ps 127:2).  Thank you for the blessings of this day, for your promised guidance and protection.  I am SO grateful for your leading!  Thank you for this open door you have set before me, Father!  I am so grateful for all you have done and continue to do for me.  I love you, Father!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *