About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Circumcision

This morning, my reading brought me to one of those passages that can be so hard to understand:
At that time the Lord told Joshua, “Make for yourselves some flint knives and circumcise the Israelis who haven’t been circumcised yet.” So Joshua made some flint knives and circumcised the Israelis at Gibeath-haaraloth.  Joshua circumcised them because all of the males among the people who came out of Egypt—that is, all the warriors—had died during their journey through the wilderness following their departure from Egypt.  Although everyone who had left Egypt had been circumcised, nevertheless all the people born during the journey after their departure from Egypt had not been circumcised.  The Israelis traveled 40 years in the wilderness until the entire nation—that is, the warriors who had departed from Egypt—had perished because they hadn’t listened to the voice of the Lord. The Lord had promised them that he would not let them see the land that he had sworn to give us, a land that flows with milk and honey.  As a result, it was their descendants, whom he raised up to take their place, that Joshua circumcised. They had remained uncircumcised, because they had not been circumcised during their journey.  When the circumcision of the entire nation was complete, they remained in their places within the camp until they were healed. Then the Lord told Joshua, “Today I have rolled the disgrace of Egypt away from you.” That’s why that place is called “Gilgal” to this day.   Joshua 5:2-9 ISV
The practice of circumcision frankly seems rather barbaric.  Why did God require this of them? And what possible meaning does it have for me today?  One thing is certain. With all of their men disabled while they healed, this act would have been a major demonstration of faith as they were surrounded by enemies at the time!  

But if circumcision was so important, why not require it of the Gentiles in Paul's time? (Acts chapter 15 through 21). And why wasn't it done during the 40 years in the wilderness? One thing that strikes me is that IF some of these men decided to make inappropriate sexual advances towards someone, this would be a fairly visible sign of who they were and MIGHT help them make a different choice - though I'm not sure it really would or did.  Certainly, though at times a very visible sign of their covenant with God, it would not be visible under most circumstances.  

Why was the covenant just sealed between God and the men?  And just what was this covenant anyway?  I go back to the story of when circumcision was first prescribed by God.  Genesis chapter 17 tells the story of the covenant between God and Abraham and his descendants. 

The people were to:
  • "live in constant awareness" that God was with them
  • to be "blameless"
  • and the males were to be circumcised
In turn, God promised to:
  • make Abraham the father of many nations with many descendants - some of them kings.  
  • to be their God
  • and to give them the land of Canaan as an eternal possession
  • and to give Abraham's 100 year old wife a son.
Though I can't say that I really understand the purpose behind the required circumcision, it certainly seems to be tied to the promise of the land of Canaan - and as such, very fitting in Joshua's day as they are so close to seeing the promise fulfilled.

I note that after the circumcision, God told Joshua, "Today I have rolled the disgrace of Egypt away from you.” Joshua 5:9 ISV  As I look up the meanings of the words in the original language, the meaning of the word "Egypt" jumps out at me.  It comes from the idea of "limitation".  And then I remember the verse from Jeremiah "Circumcise yourselves to the Lord and remove the foreskin of your heart" Jeremiah 4:4 ISV  Is this somehow what this is about?  What could the foreskin of the heart represent? And how does that relate to limitation symbolized by Egypt?

It strikes me that the heart often represents one's deepest beliefs, and that physically circumcising the males in Joshua's time was a clear act of faith - of putting their very lives in God's hand - as ALL of their soldiers were disabled for several days even though they were surrounded by enemies.  Perhaps in a similar way, circumcision of the heart represents excising doubts and acting on a deep-seated belief that God can be trusted.  This indeed moves us beyond limitation as we trust God and open to the possibilities presented as we allow Him to direct our paths.

Father, once again I hear those words in my heart, "Lord, I believe.  Help Thou mine unbelief!" (Mark 9:24).  May I no longer think or behave as though I still live in "Egypt", but instead remember that nothing is impossible with you (Matthew 17:20, Luke 1:37).  May those deep-seated beliefs in limitation that have been a part of my experience in the past be "circumcised" - fully removed so that I trust you fully to the very depths of my soul.  Father, thank you for the many experiences in recent months that have been such concrete demonstrations to me that nothing is impossible with you!  Thank you for the miracles I have seen so far and that I know You continue to perform for me daily.  You are an amazing God, and I am SO grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *