About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, February 14, 2014

Love

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.  1 John 3:2-3 NIV
 
Sometimes I find myself feeling discouraged when I see that I am not making the progress I would like to make.  I find myself falling so short of what I feel God would have me be and do.  These words give me courage at times like this. What we will be has not yet been made known but we know that when he appears, we will be like him.  What a promise!  Even when we don't see it, change is occurring.

And yet, as I continue reading, the ideas set out seem SO far from achievable.  How can I possibly live in such a way that I don't continue to sin?  In fact, earlier, even John says that if we say we haven't sinned, we're liars! (1 John 1:8).  Then I come to these words: "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."  1 John 3:18-20 NIV

This is indeed what Jesus preached.  Jesus wasn't concerned about all the many dos and don'ts that the spiritual leaders of the day said were so important.  His focus was on love for those around him and he clearly demonstrated love with action!
 
"Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him.  And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us."  1 John 3:21-23  NIV

This is what I am called to focus on to believe in the name of Jesus and to love those around me.  Or as Jesus put it when he was asked what God wanted of us, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”  Mark 12:29-31 ISV

A song comes to mind - a verse set to music.  It is Micah 6:8: "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with thy God?  KJV
I realize that part of believing in God is trusting that He is indeed working in me both to will and to do of His good pleasure as I have asked.  No, I am not perfect, but I can trust the one who is to guide my path.  And instead of driving myself crazy with trying to live up to a bunch of rules and regulations about how to be in this world - what to eat, what to wear, what to see - I can focus on love for God and those around me and this is how I can set my heart at rest in His presence.  This certainly seems a fitting message for Valentine's Day.  Father, please show me how best to express Your love to those around me this Valentine's Day!  

Thank you, Father, for your promises of freedom from sin.  Thank you for your promises that you are molding me to be like you - even when I seem so far from that ideal, Father!  Thank you for continuing to work in me both to will and to do of your good pleasure.  As you fill me with love for you and for those around me, I see that your love does indeed cast out fear, and I am grateful.  May your love shine through me to those around me!  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *