About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Transformation Required!

This morning I saw something new in a verse that I've read over and over through the years:
"And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2 NKJV)
In the past, I've always focused on the first part of this verse - the importance of not being conformed to the world around me, but allowing God to transform my mind.  Today I realized more fully the importance of this!  How many times have I sought God's will on something, crying out to him for guidance?  This verse points me to what will ensure that I can prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God! I need that transformation - that renewing of my mind.

It is so easy to be "conformed to this world".  One place I've seen it especially this week has been when it comes to my challenge with eating in a healthy way.  When those around me are eating things that I think taste good, but I KNOW are not in my best interest, it can be very challenging for me to make the choice to leave those foods alone!  I've never before thought of being "conformed to this world" in this way, but as I heard myself making excuses about the temptations around me, it seems pretty clear.  It doesn't matter what those around me are doing - I am not to be conformed to those examples, but am to be transformed by letting God renew my mind.  Thank you, Father, for this reminder!  Thank you for letting me fall into this trap so I could see it for myself.  And thank you, even more, for releasing me from the trap once I fell into it!!!!  You are an awesome God!  May I be willing to follow your guidance - in my eating, and in my entire life!  Thank you, Father!

As I think about this, I see clearly that the more I eat of foods that do not serve me, the more "foggy" my thinking becomes and the less able I am to hear that still small voice of guidance within me.  Clearly, allowing God to transform my mind - with regard to eating and everything else in my life - is needed if I am to clearly understand God's will

The ISV puts it very plainly: "Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God’s will is—what is proper, pleasing, and perfect." (Romans 12:2)  This adds that additional thought - CONTINUOUSLY being transformed by the renewing of my mind.  There is no time when I have "arrived" and can rest on my laurels.  "Therefore, whoever thinks he is standing securely should watch out so he doesn’t fall." (1 Corinthians 10:12-13 ISV) In order to live a victorious life, I must CONTINUOUSLY seek God's transforming guidance in my life.  Father, you know how challenging this seems to me.  Too often it seems I seek your will, get it, take the next step, and then forget to check in with you again for a time.  May I drink continually from this fountain of living water that is you in me! May my eyes be kept focused on you, this day and every day of my life!  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *