About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

O Give Thanks!

This morning, I'm feeling so grateful! I experienced God's guidance yesterday in a special way and learned some things that I hope I can remember in the days ahead.  Through it all, I experienced joy and blessing and am SO grateful.  Thank you, God!

As I shared yesterday, I've recognized there is a lot of work for me to do to get ready to teach this up-coming class.  It appears impossible to get it all done, but I know that "For humans it’s impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God.” (Mark 10:27, ISV)

I've also been reminded of this verse from Psalms:
"It is useless to get up early and to stay up late, eating the food of exhausting labor—truly he gives sleep to those he loves."(Psalms 127:2 ISV)
And yet, there's also the verse that reminds me, "Whatever the activity in which you engage, do it with all your ability" (Ecclesiastes 9:10 ISV)  It can be challenging to find that balance point between overdoing and wasting time -- and it's impossible for me to find that balance without God's guidance. 

Yesterday I faced some of those challenges.  I had SO much work to do, and suddenly several things came up regarding friends and family.  I had to decide whether or not I was going to participate as they were going to take huge hunks of time out of my day and prevent me from getting a lot of my tasks accomplished. I prayed for guidance and realized I was clearly being told to spend the time with family and friends. Afterall, how can I minister to any of them if I seem to be saying that my work is more important than they are?

So, I set about to do what I could work-wise around the other activities and to just relax and enjoy the time with family and friends.  Though I didn't get as much done as I might have liked, I got more done that I would have thought, and enjoyed the time with family and friends.  I woke up feeling very grateful, and ready to accept and ponder these words from Ecclesiastes:
"For what does a person gain from everything that he accomplishes and from his inner life struggles that he undergoes while working on earth? Indeed, all of his days are filled with sorrow, and his struggles bring grief. In fact, his mind remains restless throughout the night. This is pointless, too! The only worthwhile thing for a human being is to eat, drink, and enjoy life’s goodness that he finds in what he accomplishes. This, I observed, is also from the hand of God himself, for who can eat or enjoy life apart from him? After all, to the person who is good in God’s sight, he gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy, but to the sinner he gives the troublesome task of acquiring and accumulating in order to leave it to someone who is good in the sight of God. This also is pointless and chasing after the wind. There is a season for everything," (Ecclesiastes 2:22-3:1 ISV) 
What benefit does the worker gain from what he undertakes? I have observed the burdens placed by God on human beings in order to perfect them. He made everything appropriate in its time. He also placed eternity within them—yet, no person can fully comprehend what God is doing from beginning to end. I have concluded that the only worthwhile thing for them is to take pleasure in doing good in life; moreover, every person should eat, drink, and enjoy the benefits of everything that he undertakes, since it is a gift from God. (Ecclesiastes 3:9-13,  ISV)
Now, everything has been heard, so I give my final advice: Honor God and obey his commands, because this is all people must do. (Ecclesiastes 12:13 NCV)
For some reason, despite all the exhortations in the Bible to praise God and rejoice always, I feel like I missed something until my experiences yesterday.  I've been so SERIOUS about everything -- doing my best to seek God's will and follow it.  And there's certainly nothing wrong with seeking God's will -- it's the only real way to live!  But yesterday helped me to see that God does indeed want me to enjoy life -- within His will.  Afterall, He loves me!  Why wouldn't he prefer to see me happy and enthusiastic about the plans He has for me?  Afterall, that's what I want for my own daughter -- to live a happy and fulfilling life.  "So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who keep on asking him!" (Matthew 7:11 ISV)  As I found myself thinking of ways to share the fun we'd had yesterday with others of my loved ones, why would I think God would be any different?  He LOVES me and wants to share fun times with me!

Father, thank you for your love!  Thank you for your guidance!  Thank you for my experiences day by day! Indeed, it is a good thing to give thanks to you as I continue to learn to sing a new song.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *