About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Creation Day 3 Continued

Last night, I went to bed unsure of my next steps in preparing for my class, and worried about how I am going to get everything done in time. I prayed about it as I went to sleep, but still slept fitfully.  This morning I awoke with a repeated phrase from the creation story running through my head - "And God said, Let there be . . . " And I realized that as God spoke, His words contained the power to make it happen.  No one WORRIED it into existence!  I felt God speaking to me about my new project saying, "I've told you that I'm building this house (Psalms 127:1) - just LET it happen!"  What a relief to once again remember that it's not all on MY shoulders!  

I'm needing to learn a whole new way of working - to "let go and let God".  From time to time I've been able to put that idea into practice when it comes to addressing various concerns that are out of my control, but now it is time to realize that I don't have control of ANYTHING!  It's ALL God's, and as I turn my life more fully over to Him, I need to LET HIM work through me, rather than expecting myself to figure it all out!  

Of course, saying this is much easier than actually doing it.  I know I'm not meant to just sit idle waiting for God to do it all.  I'm to let Him work THROUGH me.  That means I will be working, but under His power and direction. What does that mean?  How does that work?  I have to learn to recognize and follow His lead. My experience with dance teaches me a great deal about this. It is NOT automatic for me to simply follow a dance partner.  I have to learn the subtle cues and what they mean - this move on his part means I will need to be doing this or that. Part of continued learning in dance is learning better ways to lead and follow a partner for smoother execution of the moves.  

Perhaps this is part of why I've been guided to the creation story at this time. It can help me understand the process better so I can better understand and follow the guidance I am given from moment to moment in this wonderful dance with God as my partner.  So, today as I finish my look at Day 3 of creation, I continue to seek specific guidance for and understanding of my next preparation steps.  Once again, here's the account of creation day 3, this time from the New King James Version:
"Then God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear"; and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. So the evening and the morning were the third day.
" (Genesis 1:9-13 NKJV)
In my last post, I looked at the first part of this account. Today I'll look at the second part. Two things jump out at me as I read this.  First is the question, "What does this "vegetation" represent in the personal creation God is creating in and through me?  And second is the note that there's a real focus on "seed-bearing" and "each kind containing its own seed".  What does that represent?  Once again I turn to God for understanding and then to reference books to seek out the nuances of the words in the original language.
  • grass - literally a "sprout"
  • herb - "any tender shoot" - from a root word meaning to glisten or be green
  • yields - literally means "to sow", figuratively means "to disseminate"  (this one surprises me - I expected it to mean something about growing the seed rather than scattering it!)
  • seed - from that word meaning "to sow" - literally means "seed", figuratively means fruit, plant, posterity (children), or even planting time.
  • tree - from word that means "to fasten or make firm" it refers to "firm wood" - in tree form or simply wood of some kind
  • fruit - means simply that, "fruit", but is also used figuratively (presumably speaking of "results")
  • kind - word relates to sorting things into types or species
  • in itself - among other things, this word can relate to "place", "time", "means", or "cause".  (This, I think, is part of what I was being told this morning in the focus on "let there be".  The power is in the calling or naming!  When God directed me to proceed in this new direction, He also put within me the power to do it - "the seed is in itself". I MUST trust this!  Thank you, Father, that you work within me both to WILL and to DO!  Please give me the faith and understanding I need to move forward, and may YOUR will be done! Thank you!)
  • good - pleasant, delightful, favorable, pleasurable, beautiful (once again I am reminded that participating in creation with God is meant to be pleasant - delightful even.  It is not meant to be a burden or something to be feared)
I turn back to my initial questions: What does this "vegetation" represent in the personal creation God is creating in and through me?  What about the focus on seed bearing and each kind containing it's own seed?  As I contemplate these questions, I find myself moved to tears, because this passage for me represents some amazing promises!  
  1. First is the promise of growth - those "herbs" are green and growing, not brown or withered! Also, those seeds are not just static, but are disseminated! Father, I am so grateful for the spiritual growth taking place in me, and for the promise of growth in my new endeavors.
  2. Second is the promise of fruit (results) - this passage did not simply speak of trees, but specifically of fruit trees.  This class that I'll be teaching is at a time/place where people have warned me few people will come - and yet I felt strongly guided to move forward into the opportunity presented.  Here I am promised that there WILL be fruit!  
  3. Third, is the fact that the power to create what is needed is already in me, placed there by God.  I've often heard the phrase, "every bidding, is an enabling", when describing the way God works with us.  This is another way of saying that He works in us both to WILL and to DO (Philippians 2:13).
  4. And finally, there is the assurance that this is all good.  It is meant to be pleasant, delightful, favorable, pleasurable, beautiful.  There is nothing to fear, and it is not meant to be a burden.  It is designed to be a fun, rewarding experience for me.  Thank you, God!
Father, I am always so amazed at how you can teach me from the most unexpected places.  This passage in Genesis is no exception!  Thank you so much for your promises and reassurance!  That you care so much about my day-to-day activities is such a source of amazement to me and makes me feel so cherished!  Thank you for your love, thank you for your guidance, thank you for your power!  You are an amazing God, and I am SO fortunate you chose to adopt me as your child!  Thank you, Father!  And now, as I move through my day, please keep me in your arms.  Guide me into your paths, that your will may be done in my life. Please cast out my fears and worries and keep my mind focused on You and Your power. Thank you, Father.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *