About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Let Me Now Glean

I often read my Bible out of a software program on my computer.  It also has a lot of other study helps and one of the things it has is a devotional written by Charles Spurgeon that pops up with a daily message each time I open the program.  This morning I particularly liked what it had to say.  It started with this verse:
"Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn." — Ruth 2:2
I love the way God speaks to us from some of the most unlikely verses!  In this case, Spurgeon suggested that no matter how down and out we may feel, we can always go to the field and glean.  He reminded me that there are thousands of promises in the Bible just waiting to be gathered and treasured.  It is so true!  I think of several this morning that have come to me again and again in the last few days - gleanings from my morning studies:
  • "It is useless to get up early and to stay up late, eating the food of exhausting labor—truly he gives sleep to those he loves." (Psalms 127:2 ISV)  What a wonderful promise for those who feel overwhelmed with duties or who have difficulty sleeping!
  • "O Lord, your unfailing love fills the earth;" (Psalms 119:64 Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)  I am SO grateful! Even in those times when it seems like no one cares, God is ALWAYS there! Father, your love means the world to me.  No matter how discouraged or upset I may be feeling, you are there to comfort and to guide me!  Thank you, Father!
  • The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed and to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners; to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, a mantle of praise instead of a spirit of despair.” (Isaiah 61:1-3 ISV)  On those days when I am feeling depressed or am grieving or feel held captive by sin or circumstances, this is such a wonderful promise.  Good news to the oppressed! Freedom for the captives! The oil of gladness instead of mourning! A mantle of praise instead of a spirit of despair! Thank you, Father!!!!
  • "Then God’s peace, which goes far beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your hearts and minds in union with the Messiah Jesus" (Philippians 4:7 ISV)  There are times when I've experienced this wonderful peace in the midst of the most challenging circumstances. What an amazing thing! There are times that I worry I'll forget to check in with my guide and Savior - but He's promised to guard my heart and mind!  Thank you, thank you, Father!
  • "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."  (Luke 11:9-11 NKJV)  For those times when I feel like I'm just going in circles or pounding my head against a wall - that there are no doors opening to me, this is a marvelous promise - and a reminder to continue to "seek first the kingdom".
  • "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over" (Luke 6:38 KJV) Another great promise - and reminder to cultivate a generous spirit.
  • "The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." (Isaiah 58:11 NIV)  This is such a wonderful promise! I am so grateful for His guidance! 
  • "See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." (Revelation 3:8 NIV)  How grateful I am for those open doors God sets in front of me!  I appreciate the closed doors too because they keep me on the right path. But when it comes to those open doors, what a blessing to know that when God sets an open door in front of me, NO ONE can shut it!  It can be scary sometimes to walk through that door into the unknown, and there can be fear that things won't work out, but God promises that when He sets an open door in front of us NO ONE can shut it!  Thank you, God!
  • "He will never let your foot slip, nor will your guardian become drowsy." (Psalms 121:3 ISV) Another amazing promise.  God can indeed be trusted to keep us on the right path!  Thank you, God!
As I think of these promises, another one comes to me in the form of a new habit I'm developing: 
  • "Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right." (Psalms 119:164 from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
God indeed DOES keep everything running right and I am SO grateful!  I have seen such amazing examples of Him reminding me so I get done the things that need to be done.  His timing is amazing!  Father, indeed this morning, I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.  May I continue to remember that YOU are in charge and all is well!  Thank you, Father!

What are YOUR favorite promises?

2 comments:

Esther said...

For some reason, as I read this post the thought came to me: God doesn't need for me to share all the evil things in this world; to "warn" people against this or that "conspiracy" that may be afloat to "do them in." His people, those who KNOW Him, are protected from those things anyway, and those who don't KNOW Him need for me to share HIM! People need to see and hear encouraging thoughts, and see the GOOD that God is doing in this world through His people.

As for my favorite promise. . . This morning I was struck by the stories of the feeding of the 4,000 and the 5,000 and the promise that is there. So what if all my food is GMO or otherwise modified? I serve a God who can multiply the nutrients that ARE in those foods and who promises that if I eat any deadly thing it will not hurt me. So why do I worry about what "they" have done to my food, my water, my air? I can trust in the God who made all of those things and who multiplies to me daily everything that I need. He tells me specifically: Do not worry about what you will eat, what you will drink, or what you will wear.

Thanks for the reminders I needed this morning.

Cheryl said...

Wow! Lots of food for thought there. Thanks for sharing, Esther.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *