About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Work and Sleep


This morning's text comes from Psalms 127 verses 1 & 2:
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.
In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—
    for he grants sleep to those he loves." (NIV)
This passage is one I've had hanging in my office for several years now - in two parts:
  • The first part of verse one reminds me of the importance of seeking God's will as I do my work.
  • Verse two reminds me to work reasonable hours and get my sleep.  It also has been a promise that I've clung to when sleep is illusive.  Many nights I've prayed this promise, asking God to give me sleep.  It is also on my mind when I wake up early in the morning (usually 3-4am).  Once again, I pray this promise to Him and ask whether it is time for me to get up, or whether He wishes to give me more sleep.  While sometimes, it is time to get up, often I've gotten several hours more sleep - something that never happened before beginning this practice.
If this were all I ever saw in these verses, it would be more than enough.  They are important words to live by and such a wonderful promise.  This week, however, when I came back to this verse to do some art journaling about it, I noticed a couple of things I hadn't noticed before.

First was just an interesting tidbit as I noticed that this quotation is from one of two Psalms written by Solomon.  Many of the Psalms were written by his father, David, and several more were written by other people - but I hadn't realized that Solomon wrote any until this week!  

Secondly, while most versions basically talk about God giving sleep to those He loves, the New American Standard Version (which is the one I'm currently journaling in) says "...He gives to His beloved even in sleep".   He gives to us while we sleep!  Medical science has been telling us about the many benefits of sleep and how important it is.  I've known that during sleep, among other things, the body regenerates itself and the mind cleans up its filing system.  While obviously God created us this way, I've never stopped to think of this as God giving to us even in our sleep!

Father, I'm so grateful for how light the burden is that you ask us to carry!  You are such a caring master!  Thank you so much for all the sleep you've given me through the years, and for the many gifts you've given DURING my sleep!  Thank you for your guidance for this day, and for your love for me always.  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *