About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Gifts


For the last several days, I've been pondering Romans chapter 12.  The first couple of verses were what I looked at in my last post.  My eye next went to verses 6-8: 
" We have different gifts based on the grace that was given to us. So if your gift is prophecy, use your gift in proportion to your faith.  If your gift is serving, devote yourself to serving others. If it is teaching, devote yourself to teaching others. If it is encouraging, devote yourself to encouraging others. If it is sharing, share generously. If it is leading, lead enthusiastically. If it is helping, help cheerfully.(ISV)
Father, what is the gift you have given me?  As I pondered the gifts mentioned, I first looked at each more in depth.  What do each of these gifts entail?  I looked at each in Strong's concordance and from various translations to try to get a deeper understanding of each:
  • Prophecy in proportion to faith - This gift includes prediction, as we might expect, but apparently also inspirational speaking, and even writing poetry!  It is to be measured by our conviction.
  • Service devoted to serving others - Also interpreted "ministry", this gift is about doing for others - it particularly involves doing things at someone else's direction and comes from a word that means to run errands.
  • Teaching devoted to teaching others - As one might expect, this one is about instructing others.
  • Encouraging devoted to encouraging others - Literally "to call near", this one has a wide range of meanings and is translated "exhortation" in several Bible versions.  It includes invitation, consolation,  encouragement, entreaty, and even instruction.
  • Sharing generously - Also interpreted "giving" it means to impart.  As I ponder this I realize it would apply not only to sharing of one's goods, but also of one's inner self. The word interpreted "generously" also means sincerity and mental honesty - free of hypocrisy.
  • Leading enthusiastically - Literally "to stand before" this word is also translated "ruling".  It is not only about presiding over, but protecting, guarding, and giving aid.  The word interpreted "enthusiastically" literally means speed and includes eagerness and diligence.
  • Helping cheerfully - This word means being compassionate, showing mercy to others and helping the afflicted.
When I started looking at this list, it was with the idea that I would gain clarity on what my gift was so I could clearly focus on it.  After all, before starting the list, Paul clearly said we each had DIFFERENT gifts and we should each use the one we have.  But as I read through the list, it seemed that I had been given MOST of these gifts to different degrees.  A passage from Luke 12:48 flitted through my mind - "For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required".  Frankly, that thought scared me and I knew I needed to immediately turn that fear over to God to be healed.  Father, I trust you to work through me to accomplish what you will.  "Lord, I believe, help Thou mine unbelief!"  
 
Not wanting to really accept the increased responsibility, I argued a bit about it internally.  The list of gifts was given in conjunction with the example of how one body has many parts - each with its own ability, but all working together for the good of the whole.  After all, the hand is not a foot.  The mouth is not a hand.  So how could I have more than one of these gifts?  I'm just one part of the body, not the whole!  But as I was thinking these thoughts, God quietly pointed out to me that sometimes the hands are full and the foot or even the mouth steps in to help move something when needed.  While there are some things a body part can't do for another - my foot can't chew my food, for example - there are things that they CAN do.  My hands can communicate if my mouth can't for some reason - or even if it can and is communicating, they can supplement the communication.  My hearing can give me information about my surroundings if my eyes can't for some reason - etc.  
 
As I continue to think about all this, I begin to feel enthusiasm building.  I'm starting to see the picture.  I am indeed like that hand.  Its main function may be to hold and touch things, but it does not do that in isolation.  For example, it helps the mouth be able to speak by adding gestures to enhance the meaning the mouth is trying to get across.  While the hand is not the part that chews the food, it DOES help get the food to the mouth so food can be eaten.  While I do not walk on my hands (though of course some folks do), my hands help put shoes on my feet to protect them as they walk, and sometimes grasp handrails or other supports to help with locomotion. 
 
As I ponder these ideas, I start to see that I probably DO have one main gift, but that it can and should be used to supplement the others.  I do not operate in isolation and the focus on a particular gift is not meant to be a focus on trying to say - "no that's not my job - that's the foot's job".  It is meant instead to be a focus to see more and more how I can use my gift in support of others. Though this understanding does nothing to lessen my responsibility, I somehow DO feel a sense of relief.  I am NOT meant to be the whole body.  I DON'T have to do it all.  I just need to do my part as directed by God.

Father, thank you for this!  You never cease to amaze me with how gentle you are with me.  You understand my fears and you don't make fun of me for them or condemn me for them.  You love me through them - gently showing me what I need to understand to let go of them.  It's true!  Your perfect love DOES cast out my fear, and I am SO grateful!  Father, once again I reaffirm that my place is within your capable hands.  Thank you for your promise that no one can snatch me out of your hand (John 10:28) - not even myself!  Father, please use me as you see fit.  Thank you for the work you continue to do in my life.  I love you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Very insightful!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *