About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

All Flesh is Grass


I've been pondering some verses in 1 Peter for several days.  The NIV puts them this way:
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.  For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever.” 1 Peter 1:22-25
The passage Peter is quoting here comes from Isaiah 40:6-8.  As I pondered these passages, they started to come together with others:
  • Solomon's stating over and over again in Ecclesiastes that "all is vanity",
  • The focus on the law of love that I was brought to the other day,
  • The 13th chapter of Corinthians that speaks of the importance of love.
It's easy to wonder sometimes what the point of it all is.  As Solomon described so well in Ecclesiastes, the work I put so much of my energy into each day doesn't seem to make much difference in the long run.  If I clean my house, it just needs to be cleaned again.  What dances I cue are usually forgotten within a day or two.  Life is fleeting; friends and loved ones die.  What is the point of it all?  What is lasting?  

I think of my grandmother.  She has passed on and is no longer with us.  But there IS something that remains.  Her loving words and actions had a great impact on me and while the specific deeds may fade into obscurity, the experience of her love is always with me.

LOVE is the imperishable seed through which we have been born again - the word become flesh (John chapter 1).  LOVE is what endures.  Isn't that what we're told over and over again in 1st & 2nd Chronicles, Ezra, and the Psalms?  "His love endures forever."  

Father, thank you for your enduring love!  May I be an open channel through which you can express your love!  I love you, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *