About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

What God Chooses


While this page may look a bit cluttered, it has a lot of meaning for me.  The top portion reminds me of things this passage suggests should be totally demolished.  The bottom is symbolic of things I am encouraged to do in this passage.  Throughout the "picture/collage" one thing stands out - the yellow "light".  This is the promised result of living in the way depicted in this chapter - Isaiah chapter 58.

This is the passage that lead to the creation of this blog in the first place. At the time, I was ill and feeling frustrated that recovery of my health was taking so long.  A portion of Isaiah 58:8 jumped out at me "Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily".  That's what I wanted!  A speedy return to health.  So I read the rest of the chapter to understand what needed to happen so that promise could be fulfilled.  You can read how that resulted in the starting of this blog here, but the short story is that I came to understand that "sharing my bread with the hungry" goes much beyond sharing physical food.  It's also important to share my spiritual food!

I've recently returned to this passage, and just as last time, I see the importance of figurative meanings - not just literal.  I had been brought into contact with someone who was feeling discouraged, and trying to understand God as a loving God when circumstances made it seem that God was punishing them.  This passage kept coming to my mind.  God says, this is the fast I choose:
"loosen the bonds . . . let the oppressed go free . . . divide your bread with the hungry . . . bring the homeless poor into the house . . . when you see the naked, cover him . . . don't hide from your own family . . . don't point your finger at others . . . give yourself to the hungry . . . take care of those who are troubled"
Father, what is it you want me to do in this situation?  What do these words mean for me today?  As I contemplated, I realized that just like bread can represent spiritual as well as physical food, the other things listed can have spiritual meanings as well. While I'm not suggesting we ignore physical needs, I'm very aware that many times the spiritual needs are more pressing.  

"Loosen the bonds - let the oppressed go free".  How can I do this TODAY?  The friend mentioned earlier was clearly feeling oppressed - how can I help free this friend?  

My friend doesn't need a physical house, but do I perhaps need to share my spiritual shelter?  Maybe help bring my friend into a deeper understanding of God's love and care?

My friend has physical clothes, but may be feeling naked and vulnerable spiritually.  How can I help cloth my friend?  I think of my recent study in Proverbs - "Strength and dignity are her clothing" (Prov 31:25 NASB).  How can I be a part of clothing my friend in strength and dignity?

I note particularly the phrase "give yourself to the hungry" (NASB) or as the ISV puts it "pour yourself out for the hungry".  Clearly we're not expected to encourage cannibalism of ourselves to satisfy someone's physical hunger.  This is about sharing of our SOUL to feed a much deeper spiritual hunger. 

And we're told the results of living our lives this way:

"THEN your light will break out like the dawn and your recovery will speedily spring forth . . . you will call and the Lord will answer . . . your gloom will become like midday . . . and the Lord will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones" (NASB) 

Father, thank you for your promises and for your love for me!  I want to do your will this day.  Please work in and through me to loosen the bonds and let the oppressed go free, to clothe the naked and give myself to the hungry.  Father, you know the many things on my to do list today.  I trust you to manage my time and energy that I may accomplish those things that need to be done as easily as possible.  May all who come in contact with me see you within me and feel your love for them through me.  I love you, Father.  You are such a gentle and loving parent and teacher!  Your love for me shows in SO many ways.  Thank you for the many blessings in my life this day and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *