About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, August 19, 2013

Day by Day

Yesterday was a very full day that really pushed me with regard to my new endeavors - a day where I found myself expected to do much more than I anticipated and really felt put on the spot quite publicly.  Yet I had prayed about it beforehand, specifically asking that it all go according to God's will, so I had to trust that that was happening.  It was also a day where some wonderful opportunities were presented to me that seem in many ways to be far beyond that for which I feel ready. And yet, I really feel I'm being called to step up to the plate and do this. 

I want to trust God, but this morning I find myself struggling with feeling overwhelmed by the tasks ahead of me.  I recognize I have a choice about how I respond to all of this, and this morning I CHOOSE to shout praises for the way God "keeps everything running right" (Ps 119:164 - Message Bible).  I hope and expect that as I continue to do so, it will indeed become that new song in my heart - a song of joy and trust replacing the song of doubt and fear that has been more my habit in the past.  

I am reminded that "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it." (Ps 127:1 KJV)  And I am grateful for the reminder that God is directing this show. I need to relax and let Him direct! However, I still find myself wondering how I'm going to get everything done. 

As I was seeking guidance this morning for dealing with this, I found my Bible unexpectedly opened to Genesis chapter one.   I'll admit my first thought was, "Oops, that's not where I meant to go". :)  I think God must have a wonderful sense of humor to put up with such a slow learner sometimes!  Anyway, as I realized there was probably a REASON I was looking at those verses, it suddenly occurred to me - God certainly took on a pretty big project when he created the "heavens and earth" and everything in them!  Perhaps there is something here in the first chapter of Genesis for me to learn about how to handle a large project such as I am facing! 

So, I begin my exploration with a look at the description of the first day of creation:
"In the beginning, God created the universe. When the earth was as yet unformed and desolate, with the surface of the ocean depths shrouded in darkness, and while the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters, God said, “Let there be light!” So there was light. God saw that the light was beautiful. He separated the light from the darkness, calling the light “day,” and the darkness “night.” The twilight and the dawn were day one." (Genesis 1:1-5 ISV)
The first thing that jumps out at me is that God was pleased with each step of His creation.  He does His work, pronounces it "beautiful" or "good", and lets His day be complete. This is an example I would do well to emulate.  Too often, at the end of a productive day, I STILL find myself worrying about what is yet to be done rather than acknowledging the beauty of what has already been accomplished.  This is part of why I need to learn to "sing a new song" of praise to God (Is 42:10)!

The other thing that I think about as I read these verses is that I must be missing something.  When I compare what is listed for the first few days of creation with what is listed for the 5th & 6th days, it sure seems like God didn't accomplish nearly as much in the first few days as He did later on!

As I re-read this passage I realize something.  I've always seen the first sentence as simply saying "You know, God totally created the heavens and the earth and everything in them and here's the story of how He did it."  What if it really is saying he created the whole universe that first day - the foundations of it at least?  A few weeks ago, I saw a planetarium presentation about our solar system and various aspects of the universe.  It was pretty fascinating to see how intricately everything works together.  And yet, I know the sun, moon & stars weren't created until the 4th day - something that has always puzzled me since light was created on the first day.  Father, please guide my understanding here as I seek your guidance and how this story applies to what I am currently facing in my life!

Perhaps my working with paper crafts can help me with my understanding.  While I've had days where I seem to be able to accomplish a great deal, making quite a few cards or scrapbook pages in one day, that usually follows days where it appears I've done very little.  Sometimes I can spend all day working and not get a single card or scrapbook page completed at the end of the day - days where I spend a lot of time planning - thinking about different aspects of what I want to accomplish and organizing them into a logical sequence.  But that time of apparently accomplishing little, sets the groundwork for producing a great deal in the days to follow. Is that what's happening here?

I see a footnote that says the word "hovering" (where it says the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters) could also be translated "brooding".  Is this really describing the thinking and planning stage?  Most things I create start with looking at something that is "unformed and desolate" and imagining how I can make something of value out of it. Once I get an idea of what I want to make, I have to spend more time figuring out HOW I'm going to do it.  Next stage is laying the ground work before I'm ever ready to make much visible progress. Perhaps it is outlining the pages I want for my scrapbook and pulling together a variety of papers that go nicely together and reinforce the theme.  Or maybe it is working with a specific technique to produce a variety of focal elements for cards. Or, when it comes to fixing up a room, I might spend time pouring over catalogues or window shopping to find the elements I want to work with to organize and decorate the space.  When it comes to meal preparation, I can spend hours sometimes thinking about produce I need to use up and looking through recipe books or on the internet for inspiration about how to do so.  Etc., etc.  I know from experience that this stage can take a LOT of time, and I seldom feel I have much to show for it.

Perhaps this is what I'm being told this morning.  The thinking, planning, research, and experimenting all take lots of time and it is often difficult to see that something is being accomplished, but it is laying the groundwork for some EXTREMELY productive days in the future.  I must trust God's leading - must trust that even though I'm not seeing as much progress right now as I'd like, God in me is laying the groundwork for days where I'll clearly accomplish far more than I ever thought possible.  More than that, I suspect I'm being told that I need to put more time into the planning stage.  By mapping out what I'm trying to do and pulling resources together, I lay the foundation for quickly accomplishing what I need to accomplish in the future.

Thank you, Father, for your reassurance this morning that though initially I may not seem to be making as much progress as I'd like, everything is going according to Your plan, and will all come together as needed.  Thank you for the reminders that this is YOUR project and YOU will see it to completion - that I need to trust and rely on you. And thank you for the new song you are placing in my heart - one of praise instead of worry and gratitude instead of exhaustion!  Father, I AM choosing to "stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right." (Ps 119:164)  Thank you, Father!

When seeking to better understand a Biblical passage, I often find myself going to Strong's concordance to look up the meanings of specific words.  I know that it is easy for nuances to get lost when translating something from one language to another, so it can often help to go back to the meanings of words in the original language.  

As I do so this time, I am struck by something else.  The word translated "light" - when God said "Let there be light" can mean HAPPINESS.  It strikes me that this is what God wants for me.  There are so many passages that talk about delighting ourselves in the Lord, and rejoicing always.  God wants me to be happy, throughout the whole process, as I step forward into the new projects He has set before me!

Father, thank you so much for your love and guidance this morning - and always!  I ask that you continue to work in me both to will and to do of your good pleasure (Phil 2:13).  May You guide my thoughts and actions this day so that I accomplish that which is needful and is your will for me this day.  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *