About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Creation, Day Two

In my last post I shared how I was starting to look at the story of creation as a model of how to bring something new into our lives. Yesterday I continued this study with a look at creation day number two as told in the story in Genesis, but it's taken a couple of days for me to digest the ideas enough to get them ready to post.

Day Two of Creation seems very short.  We are simply told:
"Then God said, “Let there be a canopy between bodies of water, separating bodies of water from bodies of water!”  So God made a canopy that separated the water beneath the canopy from the water above it. And that is what happened:  God called the canopy “sky.” The twilight and the dawn were the second day." Genesis 1:6-8, ISV
What does this mean?  He made a canopy to separate bodies of waters and called it "sky".  Was this the creation of earth's atmosphere?  I started looking up the words in Strong's concordance to see what insight I could gain there.  The word translated:
  • "Bodies of water" can refer to several different liquids - including juice, urine, and semen.  Semen to me represents creation and I wonder if this "canopy" was to separate out the one creation (earth) from the rest.  
  • "Separate" can mean "distinguish".  I start to get the idea that of all the possibilities He's separating out the portions that would relate to our world.  
  • "Beneath" can mean "depressed".  It appears to mean this literally as pressing something down, but it makes me start thinking about emotions which are often symbolized by water.  It also makes me think of pressing something together, making it firm.  And I start to think about quantum mechanics and the wave/particle theory.  When a photon is seen as a wave, there are infinite possibilities where it exists.  When seen as a particle, it is condensed to only one of those possibilities.
  • "Above" is the same as a word that means "the top".  A song pops into my head, "I'm on the top of the world, looking down on creation".
  • "Sky" is also translated "Heaven" or "Air", and could also refer to space where the celestial bodies move. 
Okay, there are several interesting ideas there. The important question for me is what possible application does the story of the 2nd day of creation have to the creation occurring in my life at the moment.  What do I need to understand to more fully embrace what God is trying to create in me? Father, I continue to seek your guidance.  What would you have me understand?

I let the various ideas swirl around in my head, as I thought about the issues I was facing.  The biggest thing on my mind was the way I seemed to be blocked about making progress on preparation for the class I was CLEARLY guided to agree to teach. It's coming up soon and I felt far from ready for it.  Of particular concern were some political aspects - coordinating with others who appeared to be blocking what I felt led to do. 

As I pondered this, along with the ideas from day 2 of creation, what stood out to me was the need to separate depressing feelings from my more uplifting emotions and perhaps put a barrier of sorts between the two.  I consciously chose to follow the advice in Psalms 119:164 - to stop and shout praises for the way God keeps everything running right.  Indeed, "it is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord" (Ps 92:1)!  It really helps shift my thinking about things, and this time was no exception.

I had already seen that the first "block" I had experienced had been a blessing in disguise as I began to realize that if I had continued down that path, the first class would have been quite hard for my beginning students.  I needed to start with something easier so the students would experience success right off the bat.  This would give them the faith in me they needed to be able to tackle something more difficult in the future.  I had dealt with that and now was facing a second block.  Why?  I didn't know, but I DID know I could trust God's leading.

The story of Gideon came to mind (Judges 6-8).  He had his army, and hoped they were up to the challenge of facing the larger army of the Midianites.  But God came to him and told him that he had too many people and needed to pare them down.  So, he made an announcement to the effect that those that were too fearful needed to return to their homes. (Father, I don't want to be numbered among those too fearful!  Thank you for giving me courage!Two-thirds of Gideon's army left him at this point!  Imagine what Gideon was feeling as he watched them go!  But then God told him that there were STILL too many people in his army!  The next test weeded out 97% of those remaining! Father, what else are you wanting to weed out in me? I realize immediately that I can't rely on negative emotions here.  I need to let them go. I note that the numbers are closer to the truth than I want to admit.  FAR too much of my energy has gone into dealing with negative emotions such as fear, frustration, and discouragement.  I need to let those go and focus on what remains - hope, courage, faith, joy, gratitude.  These are what will win any battle and support God's creation in me.

As I continued to pray for guidance, I realized an e-mail had popped up in my in-box.  It was a note from a friend suggesting I approach the issue I was facing from a totally different direction. She made some good points, and I knew I needed to call the people involved and talk to them.  I've always approached politically charged things with some trepidation, but as I felt the fear in me, I once again prayed for guidance and support. Father, please guide as I move through this day.  May the right decisions be reached, and if it be possible, may things go easy with any discussions.  Please remove any fear and give me your thoughts and words in my interactions this day.  Thank you!

Well, I experienced a miracle.  I've never had such conversations go any easier.  It was like everything was sorted out ahead of time, and just waited for us to voice them.  Things were resolved quickly and with NO emotional pain.  Thank you, God!

I expect I don't know all the reasons for this second apparent roadblock, but I know it gave me a chance to practice some valuable skills:
  • First listen to the concerns and ideas of others rather than just trying to present my own! 
  • Remember that God is in charge!
  • Keep seeking God's guidance.
  • Proceed with a positive outlook.
Knowing God is in charge gives such freedom!  I don't have to push my ideas through with the strength of my arguments and personality!  I can listen to others, knowing that God might be speaking to me through them.  I can continue to seek God's guidance, knowing that He keeps everything running right!  Truly "His yoke is easy and His burden is light!" (Matt. 11:30)  Thank you, Father! Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *