About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Increased Stature

1 Samuel 2:26 says:
"Now the boy Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the Lord and with the people." (NRSV)
This verse really caught my eye because of its similarity to Luke 2:52:
"And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and with people." (NET)
Most of us want to be in favor with God and with people. There are two ways to increase in stature - the literal physical way, and the more figurative way of increasing in visibility and power.  Most of us are finished with the physical increase in stature.  So far as the figurative way is concerned, some of us want to increase in stature and some of us don't.  I'm one of those who isn't so interested in increased stature, preferring to quietly go about my work behind the scenes.  But that's not the way God is leading in my life right now.  Just as a child has no control over his growth in stature, if I continue to do as God directs, it doesn't look like I'll be able to avoid such growth either.  What I DO have some say in is growth in favor with God and people.  Proverbs 3:3-4 says:
"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man." (NASB)
This is my prescription - focus on kindness and truth if I want to grow in favor with God and people.  Each of these can indirectly be a challenge for me, though I care deeply about the people around me and try my best to always be factual in my dealings.  

For example, I choose to focus on kindness, but I can have "tunnel vision" at times.  I can be so focused on my current task, that I don't pay attention to the people around me who need kindness from me.  Obviously such behavior can detract from finding favor with people! 

The other piece of this - truth - is an interesting concept.  What is truth?  Jesus said that He is "the way, the truth, and the life"  (John 14:6 - NASB)  The challenge for me with truth is that I can get so caught up in human perception of things that I miss the truth of God's power and grace that can improve any situation.  THAT is the truth - not the appearances all around me!

Father, thank you for your truth!  Truly in "Your presence is fullness of joy"! (Ps 21:6, NASB)  I am so grateful, Father!  You always have my best interests at heart.  Life goes so much better with you in it!  Father, I ask this day that kindness and truth be a continual focus in my life and that I am able to continually be aware of the needs of your children when you want me to be interacting with them in a kind and loving way!  May I always remember the truth of your power and goodness rather than believing in appearances, Father.  I love you!

2 comments:

Verna said...

I appreciate the comparison of 1 Samuel 2:26 and Luke 2:52. The verse in 1 Samuel is another portrait of Christ in the Old Testament.

Cheryl said...

Yes, I never picked up on it until reading it this time. :)

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *