About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, June 10, 2016

An Excellent Wife


While I don't claim to be an excellent wife, it is certainly something worth aiming for!  

For the last several days I've been pondering this passage from Proverbs 31 that talks about the qualities of an excellent wife.  Several things stood out to me:
  1. Clearly those who believe that a woman had no place in the business world and must sit back and leave everything outside the home for a man to do, hasn't read this chapter!  For example, she's out buying land, making the decision on her own.   She then plants it with seed purchased with money SHE earned.  She's creating clothing that is clearly sought after and selling it to others who can market it for her.  Does this fit the picture of the subservient wife that some of us have thought the Bible taught us to be?
  2. "She works with her hands in delight." (verse 13)  Can I say that I work with my hands with delight?  Certainly that is the case for some of my tasks, but is it the way I approach ALL of them?  Surely it would be if I were "Rejoicing in the Lord ALWAYS" as we're encouraged to do in Philippians 4:4. 
  3. "She rises while it is still night," and "her lamp does not go out at night." (verses 15 & 18).  Clearly while we're told that God gives sleep to those he loves (Ps 127:2), that doesn't mean we won't put in long days.  And it says she "does not eat the bread of idleness" (verse 27).  I think again of Psalms 127:2: "It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep." (ESV)  This time I focus not on the time of rising or going to bed, but what stands out to me in that next phrase, "anxious toil".  This is such a contrast to the picture of working with delight! And I recognize that when I am working with delight instead of anxious toil, I am eager to get up and start my day and also want to finish what I'm working on before retiring to bed.  And when I DO go to sleep, I usually fall asleep easily and sleep well.  When I am engaged in "anxious toil" is when I'm less likely to be able to fall asleep very easily, or sleep well when I do.
  4. "Her clothing is fine linen and purple" (verse 22) and "all her household are clothed with scarlet" (verse 21).  I grew up believing the Bible taught that we shouldn't care about our appearance, but here it is clear that she puts time into making sure her clothing is good quality and looks good - pretty like royalty would wear. 
  5. And yet, it makes it clear that she is not a vain woman who spends all her energy thinking about adorning herself.  She's aware that her character is of more importance than her looks and clothing: "She girds herself with strength", "Strength and dignity are her clothing" "She opens her mouth in wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."  She also takes care of her entire household as well as extending her hand to the poor and needy (verses 15, 20, 21).
  6. Her husband can trust her.  She helps him increase the value of their household, rather than foolishly putting them in debt. (verse 11)
  7. She faces the future with JOY. (verse 25)  This is what stood out to me the most.  At the time I read it, I had just been informed of something that caused me to wonder what would be happening for me job-wise - a situation that I could easily move into anxiety about.  But God gave me direction through this verse.  "Face the future with JOY!"  Obviously this is not unlike many other verses throughout scripture that encourages us to let go of anxiety and fear and instead trust God with thanksgiving and joy.  But it was another timely reminder for me.  Thank you, God!
Father, Thank you for the work that you are doing in me!  May I truly be an excellent wife.  May I open myself fully to your love and joy so that anxiety and fear have no place in me.  May I move forward with strength and purpose, energized by the joy and vision you've put within me as I continue to seek your will.  Father, you are so amazing!  When I see the miracles happening in my life I can't help but praise you!  Thank you for the healing you are doing in my life - physical, emotional, mental & spiritual!  Thank you for the beauty you create and for the love you shower us with!  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *