About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Journeys & Destinations


Today as I continued with my Bible art journaling, I realized something.  I've often heard folks talk about how it is the "journey, not the destination" that counts.  Of course, destinations DO count, but I'm beginning to understand that too often I let my concerns about the destination get in the way of enjoying the journey.  

I'm sure the page in the picture above looks somewhat familiar - but there are certainly differences between this and what I posted yesterday.  I'm finding that often, even when I THINK that a particular piece is complete, it isn't.  Already there have been several pages that I added to after posting them.  In this context, a text from Deuteronomy stood out to me today:
". . . the Lord your God, who went ahead of you on your journey, in fire by night and in a cloud by day, to search out places for you to camp and to show you the way you should go."  Deut 1:32, 33, NIV
Just like God guided the Israelites, He wants to guide me.  But even with God directing me, I won't always reach my destination immediately.  In those cases, He searches out places for me to camp along the way.  I think what happened yesterday was a good example of that.  I THOUGHT I was done with that particular journaling piece - but I wasn't!  It was just a camping spot before I continued my journey.

This is such an important life lesson for me!  I have a terrible time with time management sometimes.  Too often, I find myself stuck in one of three ways of doing things that don't serve me well:
  1. I get so focused on completing a task, that everything else goes by the wayside.  I may get that specific task completed, but I haven't fixed proper meals for myself, haven't kept up with things around the house, haven't taken time to relax, etc. etc.    OR
  2. I get so overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to do EVERYTHING that I quit before I start and don't get anything done!
  3. I just give up and work on what is most appealing to me - regardless of whether or not it is most important in the moment.
Sometimes, I bounce back and forth between these approaches - starting with method 2 or 3 until something is time critical, and then moving to method one - burning the midnight oil as needed to finish what needs to be done.  Even when actively seeking God's guidance for my day, I too often get caught by the first thing He leads me to and focus so intently that I forget to listen to Him regarding when it is time to "camp" regarding that project.  

Father, thank you for your goodness to me and your willingness to guide me.  May I have ears that hear your direction and a willing heart to follow your lead.  May I listen to ALL the instructions - not just the first one! :)  Thank you for your patience with me.  Please lead me this day.  Father you know everything that I need to accomplish (and you know those things which really DON'T need doing too!).  I trust you to guide me to those things most important for me to accomplish this day - including not just the many "tasks" I see need to be done, but also things like spending time with you, taking care of personal things, taking time to relax.  Father, I know you know about the physical healing I need in my life, and I hear your words from Isaiah 58:8 "Your healing shall spring forth speedily".  Thank you, Father!  I am so grateful for your love.  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *