About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

That They May Be One


Here's a vellum page I added to my Bible.  It's hard to see in the picture, but the verse at the top reads:
"Father, I pray that they can be one.  As you are in me and I am in you, I pray that they can also be one in us."  John 17:21 (NCV)
This was a key verse for our wedding.  I am so grateful that my husband and I were brought together and were kept together through all these years!  As I pondered this verse, and thought back over the years of our marriage, the thought came to me - what does it mean to "be one".  I realized that this is one of those verses that too often I've glossed over, seeing it as pretty poetic language rather than really looking for a deeper understanding. 

As I started thinking about it more, I realized that when I heard this verse, I tended to think of clones - two bodies, same person.  Frankly, if I really allowed myself to think about it, this was a bit of a turn off.  I don't WANT to be a "Stepford wife"!  For a long time I've expressed the idea that rather than wanting everyone around me to think like me, I've thought that if two of us think exactly alike, one of us is unnecessary! 

As I continued to ponder, other verses came to mind:
"For we have many parts in one body, but these parts do not all have the same function.  In the same way, even though we are many people, we are one body in the Messiah and individual parts connected to each other. We have different gifts based on the grace that was given to us." Romans 12:4-6 (ISV)
That isn't describing clones!  As I think about what God created and about how even two snowflakes are not identical, I realize that clearly God isn't into making clones! 

In this context, I considered our marriage.  My husband and I are two VERY different people.  Though we certainly have areas of similarity (our desire to be led by God, for example), many times our viewpoints on any particular issue are quite different.  Instead of seeing this as a detriment, we've seen it as a strength.  Our joint decisions are much more likely to be sound ones because between the two of us, especially as we both open to God's guidance, we see more of the picture than either of us would have alone. The other piece of this is that with God's love within us, we both care about what each other thinks and desires.  So, while we are very different, with God's guidance, we find win/win solutions and work together toward the same goals. Is this what Jesus meant? 

Going back to the verse, I note that in speaking to His Father, Jesus said, "Just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be one in us" (ISV).  Wait a minute & think about  that!  Jesus didn't say, "Just as you, Father are in me" and stop there.  He continued with "and I am in you"!  When I've thought about this in the past, I've tended to think that what brings people together as one is having God in each of their hearts, so they are both being guided in the same way. 

But what about that "I am in you" piece?  Christians often talk about Jesus/God being in their hearts, but have we really understood the idea that we are in God's heart too?  He REALLY loves us, and our thoughts and desires are always taken into consideration in His plans - after all, HE is the one that created us to be the unique beings that we are!  As I think about this, I realize that there really are SEVERAL pieces that come together to make us "one".  God in each of our hearts, each of us in God's heart, and us in each other's hearts so we each take the other's opinions and needs into account. ("Love your neighbor as yourself").  

No wonder this is what we are told regarding the most important commandment: The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:29-31 (NIV)  This clearly is the path to unity - to peace, joy, longsuffering . . . all of the fruits of the spirit! (Gal 5:22,23)

Father, I am so grateful that you are a God who appreciates and encourages diversity!  Father, I want to "be one" with those around me as Jesus described - I in you, you in me, and loving those around me as myself.  I want to see those parts of myself and others that are "different" as the important parts that you created in us to make us each uniquely valuable, and appreciate them as your gifts to us!  Thank you for your love and guidance each day.  May your love so fill me that I indeed love my neighbor as myself!  Father, you know the decisions that face me this day.  May I be open to see and understand your guidance and willing to follow your lead.  Thank you, Father!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on how I made this page, check my papercrafting blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *