About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My Instructor


The other day my daughter was over and we colored pages from a Christan coloring book.  The picture I colored had been sitting on my desk since then, and this morning seemed like the right time to do something with it.  I had expected to make some sort of wall hanging out of it, but as I saw it this morning, I wondered if I could find a place for it in my Bible instead.  

There wasn't room for it near Psalm 32, so I turned to the beginning of the book. In this particular Bible, after a brief introduction to each book of the Bible, there is a section on how to study that particular book.  Since it is my intention to let God be my instructor instead of following someone else's study format, I'd been thinking to cover that portion with white gesso to give myself more room for journaling.  It was the perfect place for the picture - and the perfect sentiment, too.  What better to replace that "how to study" section than with a promise that God will be my instructor!

And it didn't stop there.  After adding the illustration, I started reading.  Psalm 1:1-3 (ISV) says:
"How blessed is the person, who does not take the advice of the wicked, who does not stand on the path with sinners, and who does not sit in the seat of mockers. But he delights in the Lord’s instruction, and meditates in his instruction day and night.  He will be like a tree planted by streams of water, yielding its fruit in its season, and whose leaf does not wither. He will prosper in everything he does."
Now, I don't believe that the study guide counts as "the advice of the wicked".  I'm sure whoever wrote it was a Christian and that the guide has been a blessing to many.  However, as I read the verses, I felt affirmation in my choice.  Why would I want to take my instruction from mere humans, when the MASTER teacher is eager to instruct me?

Father, it is so amazing that the King of the Universe is willing and eager to take the time to instruct me individually!  I get private lessons from the BEST!  Thank you SOOO much for your love for me, and for your patience with me.  You are a great teacher!  You are so gentle in your instruction - despite the fact that too often I'm a slow learner!  Thank you for your loving guidance in my life.  Thank you for the promise of fruit when the time is right, of health and strength (leaf does not whither) and of prosperity - a prosperity that goes so far beyond mere material things!  I love you, Father!
  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This illustration came from "Beautiful Psalms: Adult Coloring Book" by Christian Coloring Books.  It was a full page, but I didn't really care for the top portion, so cut it off and covered the little bits of illustration at the top that I didn't like with white gesso.

1 comment:

Esther said...

"Father, it is so amazing that the King of the Universe is willing and eager to take the time to instruct me individually! I get private lessons from the BEST!"

That is such a great point! I LOVE it! Isn't it amazing!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *