About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

In the Beginning . . .


My title at the top says "In the Beginning God Created" - a quote from Genesis 1:1, of course.  My initial reason for highlighting those words were that they seemed a great place to start a creative journaling Bible.  To think - creativity is where God started too!  That thought was so affirming of my process!  

As I pondered the illustration throughout the day, however, I found myself thinking about how those last two words weren't centered - and it's so noticeable since they're right on top of the printed rectangle!  I wondered if maybe it would look better if I found some way to cover the last word that extended so far.  That made me think about how the phrase would read without that last word - "In the beginning, God".  That's even more profound - and a reminder to me that God is ALWAYS there!  And any time I begin something - I want to recognize that God is there and look to Him for guidance at each beginning in my life (new day, new project, new thought, etc). 

Of course, as I look at the page again this morning, I realize the words wouldn't be centered with or without the 2nd word and removing that 2nd word would be more difficult than I would like anyway.  This "mistake" was simply to focus my mind on those words as I meditated throughout the day.  Both are meant to be there as a focus.  Yes - In the beginning God CREATED, AND - In the beginning, GOD!  Both phrases give lots of food for thought.

I've been working on this page for several days and while the "art" on this page is not my favorite, the process once again has fed me.  I keep being taught that it is the process, not the result that is important, and that even "mistakes" can be important teachers if I let them be.

My object for this page was simply to show the light shining into the darkness as an illustration of the first day of creation.  I specifically didn't want it to be a "sun" as that wasn't created until the 4th day.  And I wanted the "light" to stay pristine - not get "greened out" by the "darkness", nor did I want the light and dark to be too faded in appearance. I wanted the light to be bright and the dark to be dark (and yet still allow me to read the words on the page).  I spent quite a bit of time working with various mediums in my attempt to accomplish this goal.

It was only after completion that another verse came to me that spoke to me about why it was so important to make sure the area of "light" stayed bright.  John 1:5 says:
"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it." (NLT)
My focus had been on illustrating that truth, without my realizing it! :)  No matter how dark things may seem at times, the darkness can not extinguish that light!  The word translated "extinguish" can also mean "understand" - the darkness can not understand the light.  I had a time in my life where I experienced a deep, suicidal depression; where the darkness seemed so complete that I had a really hard time understanding that that the light was there at all. But it ALWAYS is.  The darkness can not extinguish it!  Thank you, God!

I think about how these first few verses in Genesis describe my own journey (verses 1-4, NLT): 
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.  And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness.
There was a time when darkness covered the deep waters of my soul.  But notice the truth of the situation.  Even before God created the light, the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters!  God was right there with me even in the darkest part of my journey where I could see no light at all.  Then God said "Let there be light" - and the darkness could no longer overpower me!  Thank you, God! The light is indeed GOOD!  

I continue to ponder the way God separated the light from the darkness.  What is the significance of that in my life right now?  I look up the word "separated" in Strong's concordance and find that it can mean "divide - literally or figuratively - separate, distinguish).  As I think about that, my mind goes to another text.  Malachi 3:2-3 talks about God being a refining fire purifying His people. He has separated out that darkness in my life, freeing me from it so I walk in the light. Thank you, God!
  • Ps 56:13 - "For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living!" ISV
  • Is 9:2 - "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined." KJV
  • Ps 89:15 - "Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord." NIV
Father, I am so grateful to be walking in your light!  I'm also grateful for the way you are clearing out any pockets of darkness within me.  Indeed, "The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn that grows brighter until the full light of day." (Prov 4:18 ISV)  What a wonderful promise! I am so grateful for the work you are doing in my life. I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *