About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, May 16, 2016

DO IT . . . As For The Lord

This morning I woke up from a dream about a woman I'll call "N" with whom I've had difficulty in the past because at least to my eyes she has not treated me as the friend she claimed to be.  I long ago forgave her and interactions have been cordial, though I seldom see her. 

At any rate, in my dream, this woman was in charge of a radio station that was about to go under.  As she talked to me about it, I made a suggestion about a content change that I thought would enable them to reach a much larger demographic and perhaps turn things around financially.  She wasn't at all sure she wanted to try it, but they HAD to do something.  She promised me that if it worked, she'd be sure to reward me.  At the time, I didn't feel it was necessary, but she said she would, and that was fine.

Some time later (in my dream), I happened to be in conversation with someone who talked about the station's change in venue (the change I had suggested), how forward thinking that change had been, and how the station really hit the market with the venue change at the right time.  I was pleased to hear that my suggestion had worked so well, and was eager to discuss it with "N" to hear how things had gone from her perspective.  

In my dream, I soon got my wish. She was effusive with talk of how well the change had worked, but told me that she had decided that since I already had so much, she didn't figure I really needed a reward, so she had given the reward money that she had planned to give to me to one of her friends or family members instead - because they really needed it.  She was sure I wouldn't mind.

Naturally, in the dream, I DID mind - though I didn't say so.  As I started to wake up, with that thought in my mind, I realized - "Wait a minute!  What am I doing begrudging her for her actions?  That idea wasn't mine, it was God's and indeed He HAS already blessed me abundantly.  If He doesn't choose to directly reward me through her in this situation, it's none of my business!"  Immediately, all resentment I had held toward this person in my dream left me (Thank you God!  What a miracle!)  As I lay in bed thinking about these things, a phrase came to mind.  It is found in two different places in the Bible - both written by Paul (emphasis mine):
"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free."  Ephesians 6:7-8 NIV

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve." Colossians 3:23-24 NASB
These passages are addressing the way believers who are slaves, should behave toward their masters.  As I read the passages in several translations, I realized that a few translations spoke of them being "servants" but most used the word "slaves".  And it suddenly hit me.  In the passage I was looking at the last several days (Psalm 143:8-12), one of the things I was to live, was that I was God's servant.  I had a feeling that if I looked up that word in the original language, it could also be translated "slave".  Sure enough, that's what I found.  I remembered a story I had recently read that was set in an era where slaves were common.  It was made clear that slaves could be - and were - loaned out to other people as the master chose.  The slave certainly didn't expect compensation, gratitude, or even proper treatment from the master to whom they were loaned.  They were where their master put them and that was that.  

I continued to ponder all these things and the change of heart I received the moment I chose to recognize that "N" didn't owe me anything in my dream because all my gifts and good ideas come from God.  Imagine how joy filled my life would be if I no longer felt any resentment, no matter how fleeting, toward anyone when they behaved in a way in which I would have felt slighted in the past!  What if I truly behaved as God's slave with no thought to whether or not I was receiving the earthly "rewards" to which I was "entitled"?  Another Biblical phrase comes to mind - that shows up 3 times in the NASB (again emphasis mine).  

  • "In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? - Psalm 56:4
  • "In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?"  Psalm 56:11
  • "The Lord is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?" Psalm 118:6

And I suddenly realize that FEAR was at the root of my previous behaviors; fear that I would not be treated fairly.  Fortunately, I've been promised that God's perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18).  Thank you, Father!

Father, thank you for your continued work in me to cleanse every corner of my heart.  Thank you that you take care of me so well! I trust you, Father; I am your slave.

As I pray those words, I hear His reply:
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15 NASB
And I suddenly realize how big a deal our adoption as children of God is!  We've been slaves - first slaves to sin, then slaves to Him as he purchased us from our evil master.  We would willingly serve Him as slaves for our whole lives when we realize that He purchased us and is such a caring master.  But He not only sets us free, He calls us friends! And when He sets us free, we are free indeed! ("The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.  So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."   John 8:35, 36 NASB)

While looking up the previous verse, I accidentally hit something and found myself reading these words: 
"He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who is seeking the glory of the One who sent Him, He is true, and there is no unrighteousness in Him." John 7:18 NASB
Clearly my initial behavior in my dream stemmed from "seeking my own glory".  But in my dream, as in real life, when I choose instead to seek the glory of the One who sent me, I experience an amazing sense of freedom and true joy.

Father, I think I'm finally starting to understand some of these things.  Thank you so much for purchasing my freedom and not only setting me free, but calling me friend - and your adopted child!  You are an amazing God!  Your love is so far beyond what humans can conceive!  Father, I realize that even though you have set me free, sometimes, I have behaved as though I were still a slave to my human sinful nature.  Father, I claim your freedom today.  I am indeed your slave and willingly serve you.  I am so grateful for your friendship and your love! You are an amazing God and Father!  I love you, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *