About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, May 27, 2016

Be Transformed


The only Bible I have that's suitable for artistic journaling is one I've had for MANY years.  It's a hard-cover Bible that was starting to look pretty beat up.  Soooo, I decided to re-cover it.  (For more information on how I did this, you can check here.)  Once I had the new cover, I wanted to decorate it.  Since the cover was vinyl, my options were limited.  I decided to use stickers that I had on hand.  You see the result above.  

You may recognize the quotes. "Speak Lord" is from the story of a young Samuel sleeping in the temple rooms and learning to recognize and listen to God's voice.  Father, may I always recognize and listen to Your voice!

The second is from the 12th chapter of Romans.  Verses 1 and 2 read:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." (NIV)
As the New Century Version puts it:
"So brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be only for God and pleasing to him, which is the spiritual way for you to worship.   Do not be shaped by this world; instead be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect."
This passage is SO full!  It describes "true and proper" worship.  We're called to offer ourselves to God as a living sacrifice - His to do with as He pleases.  This is the real way to worship Him.  On one level this is the biggest sacrifice we could ever make - the letting go of all the plans and ideas we have for our lives and putting ourselves totally in God's hands to do with as He pleases.  However, as I come to know God more and more, I realize this is no real sacrifice at all!  Yes, I sometimes have to let go of things I think I want, but "EVERY good and perfect gift comes from Him" (James 1:17).  The only time He takes things away from me is when He wants to give me something better!  He sees the end from the beginning and knows what's best, and I KNOW that living as He would have me live is the path to true happiness.  I know this not just because it's something I've been told, but because it's something I've experienced.  So, Father, why then do I sometimes forget, and become upset at things that happen in my life?  I KNOW that since I've given myself to you, nothing comes my way that is not a part of your plan!  Father I want to STAY in that place of trust!

The answer is in the very next sentence - "be changed within by a new way of thinking" or "be transformed by the renewing of your mind".  As I continue to put Him first, spending the very first part of each day in His presence listening to Him, I am transformed at depth.  The very way I think is changed!  Thank you, Father! As you are changing me at depth and changing my thought patterns, I stay in that place of trust more and more. I am so grateful for the work you are doing in me!

Then comes a wonderful promise: "Then you will able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect."  So many times in my life I have struggled with the question of what to do in a particular situation.  I remember many times talking to God and saying, "Father, I'm willing to do it either way - please show my Your will."  Here is His promise & His prescription.  As I put myself fully in His hands, holding nothing back and allow Him to transform me, I will KNOW what is good and pleasing to Him. He's promised!

Father, Thank you for your many promises to me!  Thank you that you are changing me at depth and that because you are, I can KNOW your will for me.  Thank you for that voice behind me that directs me back to the path if I turn in the wrong direction (Is 30:21)!  I am so grateful for your guidance, Father!  I love you!

1 comment:

Esther said...

This is an issue I've been pondering lately as well, and here's the conclusion I came to: Jesus is the head, or mind/brain, of the body. Ecclesiastes 9:5 says, "Whatsoever thy hand find to do..." As I studied that text, I realized that it isn't the brain that's finding the work--it's the hand. Yes, the brain IS directing the hand, but not on the conscious level. I don't have to TELL my hand, "pick up that piece of paper," etc. I SEE the paper,I realize it needs to be picked up, and my hand just does it--seemingly automatically. Then I realized that with the Spirit of God dwelling in me, His Spirit is directing every move I make, and I just let the hand do the work it finds to do, and do it with all my might. It's been a really interesting thought for me. Does it make sense to you? Do you have any thoughts to add?

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *