About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, June 1, 2018

Be Strong and Courageous!


God has had a LOT to say to me recently as I face changes in our lives and new challenges.  We've done something we've never done before - purchased a house before selling the one we're in!  Both my husband and I felt very led by God to make this move, but I'll admit it's been a scary thing for me - especially as we then put our house on the market and didn't see a lot of immediate activity!  One night recently I had gone to sleep with these concerns on my mind, asking God for guidance.  I woke the next morning with the phrase "Be strong and of a good courage" running through my head.  As I usually do in such circumstances, I went to look the verse up in the Bible and read it in context.  The phrase I had remembered was from Joshua 1:9 in the King James version - but when I read it in the NIV it REALLY jumped out at me.  "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. I HAD been feeling both afraid & discouraged and these words were both a clear and gentle rebuke of my lack of faith - and a promise that He was indeed leading and would continue to do so.  Father, I am SO grateful for the way you lead!  Thank you for your gentle understanding and support - even when you need to correct me!  You are indeed an AWESOME GOD and a LOVING FATHER!

As I looked further I discovered that not only did the phrase "Be strong and courageous" show up 3 times within 4 verses (verses 6-9)!  It showed up multiple times in other books of the bible as well! I've learned that when I see a phrase repeated, I REALLY need to pay attention, and I felt strongly that this was a phrase I needed to journal about. 

I discovered that the page across from the verses in my Bible was printed with just a map - no bible verses - so I was able to cover it with white gesso to create a whole page for journaling about this verse.  At first I thought that was far more room than I needed, but as I continued to work and thoughts continued to come, I filled the page pretty quickly.  (I even added a couple more reference texts to the page after I took a picture of it.  I had been reminded of a couple more texts that God had brought me to and there wasn't really room to add more than the text reference for them!  More about that later.)

As I stared at the blank page and considered how best to journal about these verses in Joshua, the first thing that came to me was the thought, "Okay, God, I want to obey, but I'm not feeling very strong right now!"  In response to that thought, Isaiah 40:31 was immediately called to mind - "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength".  Thank you, Father, I'll wait on you!!!!  I was then reminded of the journaling I had done some time ago about the armor of God (see post here about Ephesians 6:10-17) - a text reference I added after the picture of this page was taken.  {God also used this older post as an answer to questions about whether we should be changing anything about the listing/sale of our house (price, updating stuff, etc) - His answer to me - "STAND FIRM" jumped out at me as I re-read the page I had created back in October!  Thank you, Father for such clear guidance!!!!}

Next, was the reminder that I didn't need to be afraid.  God reminded me, "For I know the plans I have for you . . . plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  What a promise!!!!  Thank you, Father!  He also reminded me that He cares about what we consider the "little things" - a sparrow's death, the number of hairs on my head, and promises that I am worth more to him than many sparrows so I don't need to be afraid. (Matthew 10:29-31)  Thank you, Father!!

Next, He redirected my thoughts, reminding me of the importance of praise and gratitude and JOY - "Always be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer" Rom 12:12Thank you, Father!!!

Finally he directed me to a verse I will probably be journaling about in the near future - James 1:2-8 (the other reference text I added after the picture was taken) - the promise that if we lack wisdom, we can ask Him and he'll give it to us liberally.  
Father, I am so grateful for your leading!  This move is such an exciting walk with you.  It's been amazing to see you clear the obstacles in our path so far, and we look forward to seeing the miracles we know are coming!  Father thank you for the opportunities you are bringing us with this move and the awesome way you've led us.  Thank you for the strength you give and the wisdom you supply.  Thank you for the peace that WAY surpasses our circumstances!  You are awesome and I am SO grateful, Father!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As usual, for specific information about how I created this page, please see my papercrafting blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *