About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

What Spirit?

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." -2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV

This morning I awoke with this verse in my mind, and I began to recognize that I've been giving in to a spirit of fear lately.  There are changes occurring in my life at the moment, and though I'm fully aware that God does not bring change to me unless it is for my good, and though I didn't want to feel fear about it, I still felt fear.  As I lay in bed praying about it this morning, I just kept hearing this thought in my mind - "God is not the origin of fear", "God has not given me a spirit of fear."

As I ponder those words, I was reminded of James 4:7: "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." KJV  I've always seen this verse as instruction to me - "Resist those temptations".  Today I recognize it for the promise that it is.  If I resist the devil - that Spirit of fear that does not originate in God - he will FLEE!!!!  What a wonderful promise! 

So, how do I resist this spirit of fear? That verse in 2nd Timothy gives a very strong hint.  Focus on the spirit that DOES come from God - "power, love, a sound mind".  For me today, I got a clearer understanding of what I was to focus on as I read this verse from the New Living Translation:
 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7 (Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)

That little word "self-discipline" jumped out at me.  That is certainly a part of where the fear has been coming from.  I haven't been as self-disciplined in some areas of my life as has been needed, as I've focused on some areas of my life to the exclusion of others.  For example, I haven't always taken the time to prepare healthy meals for myself - being "too busy" to do so. Any time I tell myself "I can't" I'm not living from a spirit of power!  And clearly, if I'm living a life that is out of balance, I am not living a life of self-discipline!  What about the spirit of love?  Is that fully embraced and active in me? 

Father, thank you for your words to me this morning!  Thank you for giving me the guidance and direction I've needed.  Please work in me both to will and to do of your good pleasure, Father, that I may no longer be haunted by the spirit of fear.  Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *