About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Why do you spend your money . . . ?

Today Isaiah 55:2 caught my eye.  "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your earnings for what does not satisfy?" (from Amplified Bible)  What a question!  This hit me on several levels.

On the physical level, how often have I bought junk food instead of food that would nourish my body?  How often have I made impulse purchases, that I later realized were not really that valuable to me?  In this holiday season, I tend to spend more than usual.  How am I spending the funds that I've been given? Am I spending them for those things that satisfy?

On the emotional level, how often have I focused and fed on feelings and thoughts that do not satisfy?  I am learning that while I have little direct control over instinctual feelings, I have a great deal of control when it comes to what I DWELL on and allow to be an important part of my life - especially as I continue to seek God's guidance and power in my life.  I want my energy going into the fruits of the spirit like love, joy, peace, instead of emotions that simply increase my pain like envy, pride, or hurt feelings.

On the spiritual level, how often have I spent even my devotional time in rote reading rather than actively seeking God's guidance and wisdom for my day?  Lately I have been taking the prayer, "Give us this day our daily bread," to a whole new level as I've come to understand that just as God wants to nourish me physically, He wants to nourish me spiritually if I will just open enough to hear that still small voice within.

Thank you, God, for these questions and your eagerness to lead me.  It is so exciting to experience for myself how easy your yoke is and how light the burden! (Matt 11:30) Thank you for the daily miracles and blessings in my life!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I have thought of this very seriously before. Thank you for bringing it back into my focus along with some new thoughts that hadn't occurred to me. It is certainly a worthwhile subject for meditation--and action.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *