About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Leaping for Joy?


As I was leafing through my Bible this morning, this drawing of a linen ephod jumped out at me and I started to read about it.  It turns out it is a representation of the fact that apparently King David was wearing one when he came rejoicing with the Levites who were bringing the ark to the place David had prepared for it in Jerusalem.  As I was reading the story this morning, the last verse of I Chronicles chapter 15 really jumped out at me.
"And it happened when the ark of the covenant of the Lord came to the city of David, that Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window, and saw King David leaping and making merry; and she despised him in her heart."  I Chronicles 15:29
King David, despised because he was "leaping and making merry."  Have you ever been there?  Been despised because of expressing joy?  Told you're making a scene?  Being undignified?  I have. Plenty of times.  One that comes to mind was when I was in college - probably about 18 years old. I went to the city park with a date.  I don't remember the young man's name or much about him, except for his disapproving stance as I chose to start climbing the marvelous trees in that park.  I was expressing joy, but got the message loud and clear that rather than partaking in my joy, the young man was simply seeing me as childish and was rather embarrassed to be seen with me.  Sometimes disapproval of the way I expressed joy was stated clearly, but often, just as Michal despised King David "in her heart", those despising me left it unexpressed except through body language and behavior.  But I certainly recognized it anyway, and I realize now that each time it happened, I became more cautious about expressing joy.  No wonder God has had to keep speaking to me about the importance of joy!  He keeps reminding me that the joy of the Lord is my strength. (Nehemiah 8:10)  But I've learned to become dignified enough that I am cautious about when and how I express joy.  

Perhaps this is why we speak of some older adults as "experiencing a 2nd childhood."  Perhaps they've somehow managed to throw off the restraints of societal disapproval, after decades of conforming, and are once again choosing to express joy!  

Father, I want to be more open in expression of the joy you place within my heart!  Thank you for this joy and the peace that passes all understanding - going beyond circumstances and anything others might understand.  Thank you for the strength your joy brings!  Father, I CHOOSE joy this day!  I recognize the efforts of the enemy who tries to steal my joy, because that is a very real way of stealing my STRENGTH!  Father, I ask that you keep my mind focused on JOY as I go about the tasks you have set before me.  And may I be a joy ENCOURAGER, rather than a joy discourager, Father!

As I recognize the way joy has been stolen from me in the past, I have to ask myself the question - have I done that to others?  And the unfortunate answer is that I'm sure that I have.  Sometimes it's been about dignity, but sometimes it's been because of my focus on what needs to be done.  I've wanted folks to "quit goofing around" and get back to work!  I know the enemy doesn't care WHY the joy is stolen - just that it is (because stealing joy steals a person's strength!).
Father, forgive me for my tendency to judge others with disapproval - whether overtly spoken or not.  I know from my own experiences that one doesn't have to be overt for the message to get across.  Father, I don't want to be a joy stealer!  I want to be a joy GIVER!  Father, please work in and through me to share your joy with all I meet, that you may be glorified, and they may be strengthened.  I love you, Father!

2 comments:

Esther said...

What came to my mind as I read this post wasJesus' admonition to become as little children. They DO express uninhibited joy--until someone older and "wiser" (?) insists that they stop and act more "dignified." Will we ever be able to shed societal norms enough to truly "become as little children?".

Cheryl said...

True. And too often along with that uninhibited joy, we lose our sense of security & trust.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *