About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, August 19, 2016

I Rejoice!


The story of Hannah as told in the first few chapters of 1 Samuel is quite moving.  And I find Hannah's prayer as recorded in the first 10 verses of chapter 2 quite thought provoking.  Hannah has been tormented for years, wanting a child desperately and having Peninnah goad her about her barrenness.  She promises God that if He will just give her a son, she will give Him to the Lord.  She is given a son, and when he is weaned, she brings him to the temple to leave him with the high priest to be raised by him in service to God.  The prayer I mentioned in chapter 2 is her prayer when she brings Samuel to stay with Eli.  Can you imagine how she must have been feeling, knowing that when she returned home, it would be without the son she had prayed for so long?  

I know if it had been me, I'd have had a hard time behaving as Hannah did.  I'd probably have been really torn.  Having made a promise to God, I would want to fulfill it, but could have found all sorts of reasons why it might not be a good idea to leave him with Eli.  Just look how his OWN sons turned out!  I'd likely be quite worried about leaving my son, and very sad about it at the very least.  But that is not Hannah's attitude.  She is clearly a "cheerful giver" (2 Cor 9:7), focusing not on her impending loss, but her immense gratitude for God's giving her a son.  In her prayer, she says:
"My heart exults in the Lord. . . I rejoice in thy salvation" (I Sam 2:1, NASV)
and goes on to talk about how wonderful God is.  And lest you think she was just one of those mothers who didn't care about her child, that thought is dispelled by the fact that she carefully made him clothes each year and brought them to him (I Sam 2:19).  Remember this was before a time when one could just go out and purchase cloth and zip something up with an electric sewing machine!

For me, this story speaks to me on so many levels - especially about the power of prayer, and the importance of cheerfulness & joy - especially when giving gifts to God!

Father, once again I am reminded of how you encourage us to rejoice and give thanks in ALL THINGS.  I am so grateful for your love and care for me!  Thank you for this special time of rest and relaxation that you have provided, and thank you for the renewed energy to return to the work you have given me to do.  May I do my work cheerfully as a gift to those I serve, and in gratitude to you for the many gifts you have given me - including these current tasks! (Eccl 3:13)  Father, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *