About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Don't worry saying "What shall we eat?"


Today I continued with the passage I looked at yesterday.  As often happens, I saw something more today that I hadn't understood yesterday.  :)  I started out (as you can see with the illustration) thinking about the part that says, "don't worry about what you should wear - see how God arrays the grass of the field - will he not much more do so for you" (paraphrase mine). 

As I was coloring the text, these words really stood out:
"Do not be anxious then, saying 'What shall we eat?'"  Matthew 6:31
I've always read that to basically be saying, "God will provide - you'll have enough to eat."  I am grateful that while there have been times where we truly didn't know that we'd have food to eat (a great opportunity to see a variety of ways God provides for us), that currently is not an issue.  God's provided plenty of selection in local stores - and money with which to purchase it.  Thank you, God! So at first glance, I said to myself, "Oh, I don't worry about that!"  

However, that still small voice whispered to me - Cheryl, you DO worry about "What shall you eat".  Of course, that voice was right.  I DO worry about it - in TWO other ways!

First, there's the simple coming up with what to fix for each meal.  It's just plain not so simple for me.  I can have a really hard time figuring out what to fix!  It seems that to figure out well-balanced menu plans takes SOOO long.  But I'm reminded "Seek first His kingdom and it will be added".

Secondly, I worry about the food itself.  There is so much information about foods that are good for me and foods that aren't (often contradictory).  And then even with the "good" foods, how are they grown and prepared for market (pesticides, food poisoning, etc.)  And with my added concerns about my weight, there's LOTS to worry about there!  But I'm told "Don't worry about what you should eat!"  And that quiet voice once again directs me to a couple more passages.

"One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them." Romans 14:2,3 NIV.  Wow!  Sometimes I'm BOTH of those people!  Part of me says, "eat what is provided with thanksgiving and praise" - while another part says, "but that food is too high in carbs, that food, is too high in fat, that food is . . . "  And if I eat it, I judge myself, and if I don't eat it I judge myself! 
 
"Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." Acts 10:15 NIV.  Do I believe God?  Am I willing to trust Him with my food and not worry about it?  Do I believe that when I ask God to bless the food I'm eating that He IS DOING SO - that he is making it "clean"? 

Father, thank you for your love and guidance. Forgive me for my judgements about the food you provide. May I simply allow myself to be led by you in my food choices, and may I eat what you provide with thanksgiving and praise and with TRUST that you have indeed "made it clean".  Thank you for providing for me as you do each day!  I love you, Father!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information about what I did to create this page, check here.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I'm enjoying reading your recent posts, as well as seeing your beautiful artwork. This post I can't help commenting on because I have come to the same conclusion that you express here. In addition to telling us that we are not to worry about what we eat, and that He makes all things clean, He also tells us that if we eat any deadly thing it will not hurt us. Of course, that doesn't mean to go out and knowingly eat deadly things just to prove a point. But it seems very clear to me that I need not worry about my food lacking vitamins, minerals, essential sugars, essential amino acids, (due to their depletion in the soils, or whatever) etc., etc. Nor do I need to worry about the polluted air I breathe, or all the radiation coming from my phone and my computer, etc. I am God's child, and He is looking after me as I concentrate on living the life, and doing the work that He has created me for. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *