About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, September 30, 2016

Give ALL?


It's a little hard to read from the picture above, but it says, "They gave from their ABUNDANCE . . . She gave ALL she owned, ALL she had to live on".  NASB says, They gave "out of their surplus" . . . she gave "all she had to live on."  This is Mark's rendition of the story of the widow's offering (Mark 12: 41-44 - and also in Luke 21:1-4) - four short verses that pack a powerful punch!  Jesus told the disciples that the widow, in giving 2 tiny coins, gave more than any of the others with their generous gifts.

I sat there pondering these verses.  God, is this what you expect of me?  Am I to give all I have to live on?  What about prudently setting aside for retirement?  As I sat with these questions, I realized how challenging that would be for me to do!  But as I continued thinking about it, that still small voice whispered to me, "Cheryl, while I might require that of you some day, that is NOT what I'm asking today.  Today this concept applies to a different resource - your time!"  

OUCH!  That morning I had been doing a bit of whining to God (yeah, I know, not my best choice!).  But I had been feeling so overwhelmed.  My current job, which I believe he has called me to do (at least for now), keeps me SOOO busy - with very little visible return for such an investment of time!  Before I had such responsibilities, I used to be much better able to meet the needs of friends and family, making cards, spending time thinking about and making gifts, making meals & entertaining, talking for hours on the phone, . . . .   But with this current job, it is SUCH a challenge to do any of that.  And yet I KNOW people are the most important, and showing them that I care - and through me that God cares - is an important part of my ministry!  I felt challenged enough when wanting to spend quite a bit of time with my daughter to help her celebrate her birthday, but now my husband's aunt is getting to the point where she really needs an assisted living situation - and might need to stay with us while that situation is being worked out.  How can I do it all and still have the time for myself that I need to stay sane?  

This was the mind-set from which I approached my devotions yesterday morning.  Frankly, I was sort of hoping that God would say I could quit my job to have more spare time for these other things.  But that wasn't His response.  I'm not called to give of my SPARE time.  I am called to give ALL of my time - including that which I feel I need to myself in order to stay sane (all I need to live on). 

Now, I want to make this clear.  I wasn't told to give all my time to other people.  I was told to give it to GOD.  Despite my selfish tendencies, I know this is indeed the right thing to do, and that as I do so, I will once again find that "His yoke is easy and His burden is light."  I just have to be willing to totally let Him set my priorities and have ALL of my time.  I KNOW I can trust Him to provide for my needs time-wise, just like He does financially, and spiritually, and in so many ways.

Father, I have heard you, and I choose to follow your direction.  Father, I give you my schedule - all of my time.  It's not mine anyway.  I'm merely a steward for the gift of time you have given me.  Father, I seek your guidance for how you choose it to be distributed, and if I forget, or get off track, please remind me and keep me on the right path.  As I pray, He whispers to me, "I will, child.  I've promised to make your steps secure so your feet won't slip."(Ps 18:36). Thank you, Father!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *