About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Understanding


Recently I read a very thought-provoking novel called "The Designer Bag at the Garbage Dump".  It really made me stop and think about my interactions with God.  How obedient am I?  Do I still put myself or things or other people ahead of Him, making them my gods?  How well do I listen to His direction in my life?  

As I pondered the story, one of the things I found myself thinking about was the tendency I have sometimes to simply set aside Biblical passages that I find hard to understand.  While this process has sometimes worked for me, allowing me to come back to the same passage later with clearer understanding, it struck me that perhaps I wasn't always being respectful of my Heavenly Father by relating in this way.  

I realize that in my interactions with others, if they don't understand something I've said, I much prefer that they ask me about it rather than either just making an assumption or ignoring what I've said.  As I pursue a relationship with my Heavenly Father, wouldn't He prefer I relate in a similar way?  It's one thing if He tells me that something is not for me to understand at the moment, but do I always ask???

The verses I've been looking at this morning are the first several verses of Proverbs chapter 2:
". . .  if you accept my words and store up my commands within you,  turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding—indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:1-6 (NIV)
This whole passage is such a great promise!  Not only does it promise that God will give me wisdom as it comes to understanding Him, but as I read the next few verses I find He promises SUCCESS!
"He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." verses 7-11 
Then He goes on to address a topic I've too often been concerned about - that of having someone take advantage of me.  I've been able to relax about this more in recent years as I've learned to trust that my Father is in charge and won't allow anything to affect me that is not in His plan for me.  However, the next few verses in this chapter really address this issue!
"Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse, who have left the straight paths to walk in dark ways, who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways." verses 12-15
Wow! How much better is my life as I seek God's wisdom in all that I do?  Do I really understand and appreciate all He does for me?  I know I don't, any more than a child really understands everything their parents do for them.  But I understand enough to know how blessed I am to have such a loving Father!

Father, thank you for the way you take care of me!  Thank you for your love and care!  Thank you for your gentle guidance.  And thank you for your promises.  Father, I seek your wisdom this day as I continue to pursue a closer relationship with you and as I go about the tasks you have set before me.  I thank you that you've promised to meet my needs - including the need for wisdom and understanding.  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Very thought provoking! I, too, tend to skip over verses I find hard to understand. Surely you are right about that! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *