About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Knocking


Recently I was quite taken by the contrast in messages between Revelation 3:8 and Revelation 3:20.  Revelation 3:8 is the text that talks about how God has set before us an open door:


Revelations 3:20 gives the all-too-often unfortunate contrast of our own closed door, where God stands asking us to let Him in:
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. . ."
It's rare, but I HAVE had a close friend who had an "open door policy" - where I knew I could just announce myself and walk inside without standing at the door - waiting and hoping to be let in.  Even then, I don't think it was a true open door policy, as there would have been times when I would not have been comfortable doing that - for instance late a night after my friend was asleep.   

But as we see in verse 8, God has a very clear open door policy with NO EXCEPTIONS.  How amazing is that?  The King of the Universe does not stand on ceremony, but welcomes us to just come right on in!  What is my own policy?  Is the door to my heart open? closed? or even locked?  Is it wide open for my Heavenly Father to come in at any time? Is it open to those around me? Or do I hide behind a closed door?

As I think about this, I start to think about WHY.  Why might one choose to keep a closed and maybe even locked door?  The clear answer seems to be fear and a lack of trust.  Fear that someone will walk through that door and hurt me; a lack of trust that my Heavenly Father will protect me.

So, here we have two contrasting ways of behaving.  What is my choice today?


Heavenly Father, I want to be more open in all my dealings - with you and with others. This is a scary thing for one as private as I tend to want to be, but I choose to trust you more and ask that your perfect love cast out any vestiges of fear in my life.  Father, once again today I open my heart to you and ask that you come in and fellowship with me this day.  I look forward to a day full of fun and fellowship!  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Love the way you've drawn the contrast here. Sometimes I think "my door" is not only locked but stuck! Maybe even nailed shut! Certainly, that is not a healthful position to be in. Thanks for pointing that out!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *